Dungeon Crawler

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Temena

Dungeon Crawler

Post by Temena » Tue May 12, 2020 8:17 pm

Not knowing the full limitations of what I'm getting into here, I have a question about certain game styles.

I know the hardware has obvious limitations, but otherwise I am as fresh as it gets in this field.

Would a dungeon crawler style game (think Binding of Isaac) be possible on the NES. Obviously the style is in the same family as say a top down RPG, but I can't recall ever seeing a dungeon crawler on the NES or similar consoles. Random generation and the arcade-like ability to keep going for as long as you can basically with an endgame being a boss well into the game or a challenge; are these possible? I don't see why they wouldn't be, again just haven't seen it before. The only issue I can think of is memory management and handling everything the player might do/collect throughout the levels that could create a RAM problem.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

lidnariq

Re: Dungeon Crawler

Post by lidnariq » Tue May 12, 2020 8:57 pm

Binding of Isaac is a direct homage to the original Legend of Zelda dungeons.

Many years ago, tepples wrote this article on the wiki, which will hopefully help you get a feeling for system constraints.

Pokun

Post by Pokun » Wed May 13, 2020 9:42 am

Temena wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:17 pm
Would a dungeon crawler style game (think Binding of Isaac) be possible on the NES. Obviously the style is in the same family as say a top down RPG, but I can't recall ever seeing a dungeon crawler on the NES or similar consoles. Random generation and the arcade-like ability to keep going for as long as you can basically with an endgame being a boss well into the game or a challenge
I haven't played Binding of Isaac, but dungeon crawl is an RPG term and the genre is just a sub-genre of RPGs with a focus on dungeon exploration. The genre is older than NES (the first ones were for computers in the '70s), and there are many dungeon crawling games for NES and older systems including Wizardry, Swords & Serpents, Megami Tensei, Deep Dungeon, Dungeon & Magic and many others. Randomized dungeons generally comes from the roguelike genre which is a sub-genre of the dungeon crawling sub-genre.

I don't see anything in your description that would be impossible on the NES.

Temena

Post by Temena » Wed May 13, 2020 12:21 pm

Pokun wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:42 am
Temena wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:17 pm
Would a dungeon crawler style game (think Binding of Isaac) be possible on the NES. Obviously the style is in the same family as say a top down RPG, but I can't recall ever seeing a dungeon crawler on the NES or similar consoles. Random generation and the arcade-like ability to keep going for as long as you can basically with an endgame being a boss well into the game or a challenge
I haven't played Binding of Isaac, but dungeon crawl is an RPG term and the genre is just a sub-genre of RPGs with a focus on dungeon exploration. The genre is older than NES (the first ones were for computers in the '70s), and there are many dungeon crawling games for NES and older systems including Wizardry, Swords & Serpents, Megami Tensei, Deep Dungeon, Dungeon & Magic and many others. Randomized dungeons generally comes from the roguelike genre which is a sub-genre of the dungeon crawling sub-genre.

I don't see anything in your description that would be impossible on the NES.
Interesting, thank you! I guess I never thought of it as a sub-genre but when you think about it, it is. And wow, I did not realize that there are so many dungeon crawler games for the NES, though I never owned an NES growing up (I'm only 20 right now and my parents didn't have their old ones anymore :( ). I'll have to check it out and see what I can come up with. Obviously being new to developing for older consoles, having only made games for Android previously, I'm going to start much smaller than this for now but was interested in the subject. Would it be possible to have seeds that determine the outcome of the dungeons like some of the dungeon crawlers I see? I imagine it's possible because I'm working with one of the lowest level languages but is it reasonable...? I could whip this up in Java or Python in a heartbeat but ASM still kind of scares me... lol

Temena

Post by Temena » Wed May 13, 2020 12:37 pm

lidnariq wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:57 pm
Binding of Isaac is a direct homage to the original Legend of Zelda dungeons.

Many years ago, tepples wrote this article on the wiki, which will hopefully help you get a feeling for system constraints.
Interesting, I never made the connection even though they are two of my favorite games but it makes sense now that I am thinking about it. I imagine many dungeon-temple like game elements are inspired by or pay homage to LoZ or similar.

Thank you for the article, I will have to check that out!