It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: amusing GBA multicart
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:21 am 
Site Admin

Just for fun, I did a little google search for "Hot Seat Harry" to see where it turns up, and found this:

http://www.gameboymulticarts.com/catalog/sp116u09.htm

046- BOXBOY
047- GALAXY
048- HOT SEAT HARRY
049- MUNCH EI ATTACK
050- Z PONG

114- MANHOLE
115- MATRIX

And also amusing for it's uselessness:
073- GAME GENIE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:17 am 

Is this legal? At all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:23 pm 

I guess I need to make some homebrews myself so that I can get on a PocketNES multicart and get my name out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:04 pm 

Yeah, I'm sure Bananmos will love you for that 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:11 pm 

Technically, developing demos with the intent of getting them on a GBA multicart is GBA development using NES-like bytecode, not NES development. Likewise, e-reader games are GBA games written using either 6502 bytecode or Z80 bytecode because Thumb bytecode is a bit big to fit on those size-constrained barcode cards. In this specific case, I'm guessing Bananmos would be satisfied because I hold my GBA and GBA flash cart in my hand as I type this sentence with the other. If the target is GBA hw, then getting it working on GBA hw is the goal, and getting it working on NES hw is just something nice to have, so long as I conspicuously label the end product "(for PocketNES997)" and not "(for NES)". However, I still try to make sure that a program in .nes format works to an extent in at least the latest Nintendulator and FCEU before I let anyone else see it.

Besides, it appears Nintendulator has improved since Bananmos's last rant, to the point where a well-written, standardized init code can mask most of the remaining major differences between NES hw and Nintendulator, especially with the 74LS161 mappers. I started on such an init code here.

EDIT:
Should I report this flagrant copyright infringer to Nintendo anti-piracy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:50 am 
Site Admin

I asked them if they'll give me a free cart for using my games. I doubt I'll hear back from them. :)

Of course you're free to report them if you want to, there's no indication of where in the world they're operating out of though.

I don't have a GBA, but it's kinda got me wondering. Is there a lockout chip or something similar with GBA to prevent unlicensed carts? Surely there's something. If PocketNES is able to be used for this though, and if there's a legal way to make carts, and if they could be made cheap enough (that's alot of ifs, heheh) that could be an interesting way to distribute new NES games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:48 am 

there are lots of gba flash carts 32mbit - 1gbit in size and it does't matter about your country with them at least

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:10 am 

Memblers wrote:
I don't have a GBA, but it's kinda got me wondering. Is there a lockout chip or something similar with GBA to prevent unlicensed carts?

GB, GBC, GBA, and Pokemon Mini have no lockout chip. They only verify the game's header, which is uncopyrightable per Sega v. Accolade. Besides, even if there were a lockout chip, Nintendo would probably still lose a court battle, just as Sega lost in Sega v. Accolade, cart vendors who used charge-pump lockout defeat devices lost in various NES-related cases, and Lexmark lost post-DMCA in Lexmark v. Static Control Components.

Quote:
that could be an interesting way to distribute new NES games.

Although there's a possibility that critics would wonder: "why didn't you rewrite it in C and use the greater Super NES-like color palette capability and Amiga-like sound capability of the GBA instead?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Well that's good to know. I've wanted to make a GB cart, but it seems like by the time I get around to it even the GBA will be considered retro, heh.

tepples wrote:
Although there's a possibility that critics would wonder: "why didn't you rewrite it in C and use the greater Super NES-like color palette capability and Amiga-like sound capability of the GBA instead?"

Yeah, I can see that happening. Hopefully though they'd understand the key phrase rewrite it and know it's not always a trivial thing to do, heheh.