It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: PC engine / TG16 dev
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:24 pm 

Is there any kind of nesdev-equivalent for the pce? (Speaking in terms of documents. Community doesn't matter... well, yet anyway.)

Thing is, I don't play the pce often, but when I do, I keep thinking about how it contains two 65c02 processors (modified by hudson, making the name somewhat around the terms of hu65c02 or some other random collection of letters and numbers. :P ). And I don't know if it's common for nesdevvers to be interested in the PCEngine as well, but I am, ever since I saw the system specs. (Custom definable screen res!! :D ) But since it's 6502 (65c02, whatever, they're almost the same thing anyway!), I think I'll get the grasp on this system a little quicker than I did with the nes, considering I only have to get familiar with the registers and the addressing layout. The thing I don't like, however, is the fact that the best emulator of the system that I have is an unregistered copy of MagicEngine, which I have to keep in fullscreen, because I have > 16bit display, and I'm too lazy to change it. :) If there were as accurate of an emulator as that is, plus it runs windowed, plus it doesn't have to be registered (yeah I know, but I hate crippled software. :( ), not to mention it needs a gui and lots of features, like the ablity to disable sound channels and stuff. Oh well, I'm dreaming, but still, I think the PCE is an interesting piece of hardware that deserves a bigger dev-community, and overall fan-base (unless it's big already and I don't know about it. :P )

Ok ok, I'm rambling on and on now. :P Is there a pcedev?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

This site looks good, there's some free emulators also.
http://www.zeograd.com/

It'd be interesting to program for, it is pretty similar to NES. I've played games on Turbografx a lot, but don't have one myself.

I think the CPU is HuC6280. Support for it was being worked into cc65, I dunno what the progress on that is.

I could probably make TG/PCE carts that use EPROMs if anyone would be interested in using them.

Post subject: PCE Dev
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:26 am 
In my travels I have found a surprising lack of good information about development for the PCE/TG16. I think its probley because they are alot more rare than the nes (think back t o you childhood, How many people actually had a TG16 instead of a nes i can think of 1 person)

As far as Dev carts, I have encounted at least one document that states (as I recall) the TG has an Internal mapper that would make it alot easier to build carts for, And appearently the Mask roms inside their funny little cartridges (HuCARDs not to be mistaken for Directv Hucards) are a pin for pin match to the 32k Eprom.

When I finnaly get around to it I am intent to etch a PCB that will insert into the card slot of my TG and have a socket for a eprom so i can experiment without tottaling the console. I was lucky enough to find some double clad board that is the correct thickness to insert into tha card slot and make good contact with the cart connector so its just a matter or building the contact edge connector in Eagle so i can continue with the layout.

If anyone has any info on TG Dev carts plase pass it on, I have never seen a TG or PCE eprom card as would have been used by hudson for development testing nor heard of anyone building one.

Everytime i do a google search for Hucard all i get is links to direct tv hacking info. :(

P.S. Like the look of this new forum memblers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:33 am 
Memblers wrote:
I could probably make TG/PCE carts that use EPROMs if anyone would be interested in using them.

Do you have anyinsight that I might find usefull for my eprom cart memblers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Anonymous wrote:
Memblers wrote:

Do you have anyinsight that I might find usefull for my eprom cart memblers?

There's lots of stuff I haven't checked on, like the memory access speed. According to the docs it can be either 1.789 Mhz (same as NES) or 7.15909 Mhz. I don't know how to convert that to nanoseconds.

If you want to save a lot of time, you could always try one of these:
http://tototek.com/pio/main1/SUBMENU/PARTS/LINKS/OS/pcepro.htm

I would make an EPROM cart, but I'm kinda stuck since I don't have a turbografx, heheh.

Post subject: Re: PCE Dev
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:20 pm 

The_Jester wrote:
Everytime i do a google search for Hucard all i get is links to direct tv hacking info. :(

If you want to exclude sites that mention descrambling subscription satellite TV without authorization, then it seems you need to learn The Art of the Minus: Google hucard -directv -dtv or hucard pce

And remember that TG-16 HuCard media has a bit-reversed data bus vs. PC Engine HuCard media. You can take this into account on your prototype board or when compiling the ROM file.

To convert to nanoseconds, divide 500000000 (half a billion) by the clock frequency, giving about 280 ns for NES speed memory. I say half a billion to provide for a margin of stability and because some CPU designs expect half-cycle memory latency.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:08 pm 
tepples wrote:
The_Jester wrote:
If you want to exclude sites that mention descrambling subscription satellite TV without authorization, then it seems you need to learn The Art of the Minus:

Dont get me wrong here, im just as interested in free tv as i am in dev carts, but dont see anything i dont already know during these searches :twisted: ....

I forgot about the minus though, thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:00 am 
Site Admin

tepples wrote:
To convert to nanoseconds, divide 500000000 (half a billion) by the clock frequency, giving about 280 ns for NES speed memory. I say half a billion to provide for a margin of stability and because some CPU designs expect half-cycle memory latency.

Excellent, thanks for the info. So running TG16 in high-speed mode would need memory speed of around 70 ns or less. Pretty impressive, I have to wonder how many games actually used that speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:33 am 

Wow...

The TG16 is more impressive than I thought... o_O

Fast fast memory reading speed? Awesome! :D I never knew about that. I thought the cusomizeable screen resolution was cool. :P

Question about that, does the image actually stretch to fit the screen (like a true variable resolution), or does the screen just fill in the unused part of the screen with blankness? Y resolution seems to be based per scanline, so dunno if that can stretch out.