It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

Jagasian wrote:
kev could make some good money by making a JAMMA converter for his board, and then make high-quality circuit-level emulations of some of the classic arcade games.

Yeah, that's much easier said than done though. Problem with arcade games is that the game makers very rarely re-used the same hardware. Getting just a single arcade game re-implemented perfectly could be about as much work (if not more) than doing the NES. And all those custom chips! (MAME doesn't even get Galaga's starfield right, the chip that does it is apparantly undocumented)

I think a JAMMA converter for kev's board would be really cool though, I'd suggested it before also.

kyuusaku wrote:
What? Nesticle IS still awesome, no sarcasm, in what other emulator can I alter tiles and crap during play? It's got lots of cool features nobody else has bothered to implement.

No doubt, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have done most of the NSF rips I did without NESticle's tracing and logging features. Though it's been a while now, I usually turn to it first when I try to rip an NSF even these days. Plus I still use it as a quick and dirty iNES header editor, heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:38 am 

Quote:
What? Nesticle IS still awesome, no sarcasm, in what other emulator can I alter tiles and crap during play? It's got lots of cool features nobody else has bothered to implement.

yes it features are good, i don't believe i've seen a emulator with all its features which is kinda a sad thing, most don't even seem to offer tile viewing :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:20 am 

Yeah, Nesticle is a great emulator.
But the problem is that :
- It doesn't emulate the $2005/$2006 writes during a frame correctly
- It doesn't emulate the $2001 register correctly (if it does at all)
- It does allow writing wia $2006/$2007 during rendering
- If you turn the screen off during a frame, change somethig and turn it on after that, the result won't be taken care until next frame
- Scanline's tricky timing isn't emulated well (also, I'm not sure about it, but a "sta $4014" won't take more time (i.e. Sprite DMA doesn't eat cycles))
- It always more than 8 sprites per line
- CHR bankswitching during a frame is badly emulated
- Most mappers are badly supported or not supported at all (for example the MMC5 can only run CastleVania3, all others MMC5 games won't work)

However :
- It allows you to modify the header of any rom
- It allows you to show all tiles in a gird, and even to modyfy them, and, if the game uses CHR ROM, re-write it to the rom.
- It allows you to directly trace the code, and to manually trigger an NMI
- It allows you to dump the whole NES' RAM
(edit : )
- It also allows you to change the palette anywhere, and to click on a pixel on the field to know which color it was
- It allows you to advance frame by frame
- It's the only emulator as far I know that's able to turn off the BG and to show only the sprites (emulators with Name Table viewers can show the BG without sprites, however this doesn't really disable them on the screen)
- It runs very fastly even on old and slow PCs

No emulator has all theese features in it, even if the emulator is pretty poor in the accuracy department. Anyway, Rew is much worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:20 pm 

I like NesterDC, the NES emu for Dreamcast :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:12 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
Yeah, Nesticle is a great emulator.
But the problem is that :

Nesticle was also written 'N' number of years ago by someone who didn't have access to 'N' number of RE documents that are out there now. He pretty much figured all that stuff out on his own.

Don't forget your roots.