NES programmer needed for custom game

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

iConFEWscious

NES programmer needed for custom game

Post by iConFEWscious »

Hello all,

I have this awesome girl who loved playing the old Zelda/Link games so for the longest time I wanted to meet a programmer to create a custom game just for her that I created. Unfortunately I don't have the necessary expertise to make this happen so I'm here to find someone who I can hire to help me out. This isn't an ordinary task since I will be putting my heart and soul into this so I would like someone who can appreciate where I'm coming from. Most guys buy their girls flowers and chocolates but I think she'd appreciate this a lot more considering she has an inner geek in her.
I hope I'm not infringing any rules by posting this request. I want to give someone the opportunity to put their skills into use for something of great purpose to me. I have a basic idea and hope to elaborate it much further with someone. So if this interests you could you please post a reply, or if you know anyone who might gain interest please, give me any feed back!
Also with this game I'm planning on modding a NES specifically for my girl, any input would be appreciated!
Thanks for listening, and hope to hear from you all soon!

iConFEWscious
tepples

Post by tepples »

What time scale are you talking about?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Hi, I think it is OK to ask for this kind of thing here.

I can't help you, because if I can't commit to my own projects, just imagine to someone else's, even if there's money involved. Plus I am super-busy with my current project (I guess I found some discipline somewhere...) and my real-life job.

Most of us program for fun only, but I'm sure some would love to do it as work... So I think someone is likely to help you out, provided that they agree with your conditions (time, money and complexity of the project).

Good luck with that! =)
iConFEWscious

Post by iConFEWscious »

Thanks for the responses guys.

I want to be able to present this gift by October 3rd. So I'm looking for the end of September. Off the top of my head I'm thinking 1 month to construct an outline, 2 months to create the initial programming, create the graphics, and incorporate sound, and then 1 month of debugging it. I don't want to rush it, I want to take my time to make sure it's presentable and working without hiccups. If this doesn't sound realistic then I'm more then willing to sit down and go over an agenda.

As for the complexity of this game, I basically want to take a concept of a game (or two concepts and mix them a bit like Zelda/Mario Bros). Since my girl really enjoyed the Zelda and Link game, I was hoping something similar with my own twist of a theme could be done. I have no clue how complex that can be as a programmer. But a story line is a must, and the climax of the game would include a letter/message from myself.

So hopefully that clears it up a bit. As for the type of programmer I want, I certainly wouldn't mind someone who could do the programming, graphics and sounds. I have been looking for people but it seems that people are only taking interest for the payment. I'm not looking for someone who wants a quick cash grab. I'm looking for someone who would like to take on this new challenge, and not only take credit for creating this game but also the pride that comes with it. I'm only offering a payment as an added incentive since I believe that no good programming should go without reward be it material or for personal moral. I personally wouldn't know what is good compensation for something of this sort, so I'm hoping we could discuss it on reasonable terms. I might also have to consider taking on more then one person since people may specialize only in certain areas.

So there you have it, let me know!
commodorejohn

Post by commodorejohn »

This is the best idea for a girlfriend present ever. I'm not nearly experienced enough to take on a project like this, but if whoever does take this up needs some music, I'd be happy to contribute; I can write a playroutine without any trouble, and I'm not too bad a composer for NES; here's my card.

(Please don't redistribute or archive these NSFs; I haven't decided what I'm going to do with them yet.)
[size=0]"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences."
- P.J. O'Rourke[/size]
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

...oringinal.

And by the way, my project, Dragon Skill, should be released until the end of the summer, and it has some similarities with the original Zelda (however it will be much better I hope). Check my (not often re-actualised) homepage for more info (see on the profile banner below each post).
never-obsolete

Post by never-obsolete »

commodorejohn wrote: This is the best idea for a girlfriend present ever. I'm not nearly experienced enough to take on a project like this, but if whoever does take this up needs some music, I'd be happy to contribute; I can write a playroutine without any trouble, and I'm not too bad a composer for NES; here's my card.
I've got a Pitfall! clone that's in desperate need of some sound and I don't really know where to start when it comes to a sound engine. If you're interested I can get you a copy of the rom image. The gameplay is pretty close to done. It's writen for CNROM, but I'm switching to MMC3 when the level editor is finished.
. That's just like, your opinion, man .
commodorejohn

Post by commodorejohn »

I could take a crack at it. I'm a little strapped for time at the moment (college and all) but in a few weeks I'll be free. I've got a pretty capable playroutine designed and partially implemented, so send some screenshots and/or a beta ROM my way and I'll see what I can do.

(When you say "Pitfall clone," are you talking 2600 Pitfall, Pitfall II, or Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure? Just curious.)

Also, Pitfall <3
[size=0]"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences."
- P.J. O'Rourke[/size]
tepples

Post by tepples »

commodorejohn wrote:(When you say "Pitfall clone," are you talking 2600 Pitfall, Pitfall II, or Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure? Just curious.)
Or is he talking about Animal Crossing, where a "pitfall" is a booby trap?

Seriously, I remember when I cloned one level of Pitfall TMA on the Apple II, in low-resolution graphics because the frame buffer mode couldn't keep up.
never-obsolete

Post by never-obsolete »

commodorejohn wrote: I could take a crack at it. I'm a little strapped for time at the moment (college and all) but in a few weeks I'll be free.
i hear that, school is keepin me pretty busy as well. anyways it's is a port of Pitfall! 2600 and here are some screenshots. i can get you a beta when i get home from work.
. That's just like, your opinion, man .
commodorejohn

Post by commodorejohn »

Looks pretty spiffy. Would you be looking for conversions of the original sounds, or original music/SFX?

I know I'd have to keep the Tarzan yell in any case :)
- P.J. O'Rourke[/size]