It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:49 am 

Whow, I'm shooked with all the difference between the Dragon Quest (jap) and the Dragon Warrior (us) series !
Dragon Quest (J) -> CNROM 32kb PRG, 32kb CHR
Dragon Warrior (U) -> MMC1 - SAROM, 64kb PRG, 16kb CHR, 8kb SRAM

Dragon Quest 2 (J) -> UNROM 128kb PRG
Dragon Warrior (U) -> MMC1 - SNROM, 256kb PRG, 8kb SRAM

Dragon Quest 3 (J) -> MMC1 - SNROM, 256kb PRG, 8kb SRAM
Dragon Warrior 3 (U) -> MMC1 - SUROM, 512kb PRG, 8kb SRAM

Dragon Quest 4 (J) -> MMC1 - SUROM, 512kb PRG; 8kb SRAM
Dragon Warrior 4 (U) -> Same hadware than the japaneese one

They added SRAM for saving on the first one, and they also changed all the sprites, witch faces only one direction on the japaneese one !! Actually only 12kb of the 32kb CHR space is used for graphics, and the remaining 20kb is just data, wich shall be read via $2007. I think this data is just read during VBlank, then the "normal" chr bank is swapped while rendering. Surprinsing !

For the segond one, they also add saving support, but the sprites are the same as in the japaneese one. Eventually, all the huge intro (that was the first time in the video game history) lack in the japaneese version, and many other things does surely also lack, the US one is 2 times larger than the japaneese one, but actually not all this space is used (only 75% of it), but it is even much larger than the japaneese one.
And the passwords are really large !! With multyplayer party, each one has it's own EXP, and you have to save the amount of monay, it shall be the most evoluted password system in the world ! Okay, it may be crap to enter it before playing, but you can get back at any moment of the game at any time ! Imagine how cool yould be to play a more advanced RPG, like FF7, where you can get back to show something in the game at any momment at any time just by noting your passwords !!

About the third one, it was the first one with saving in japan (I guess the first one was released in the US after this one was released in japan), and the game is also 2 times larger than the origninal one. Not all the space is used, but it's close to it !! And all the title screen and the impressive intro where you see a dragon fighting Erdrick isn't even there in japan !! Also, there is the "name select" music in US, and ther is just a kinda amazing glich on the triangle channel in japan (strange). By the way, the famous "title screen" theme lacks in both version.

The fourth one seems to be the one with the less diferences between the two versions. The japaneese one has a better intro, I think. Also, there is a funny panel at the begining of a chapter instead of just a text. It seems to be the only one where the japaneese verison is "better".

I'm really shocked by all thoose differences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:30 am 

I'm pretty sure that in the case where the North American English version is bigger than the Japanese version, it's because it takes more bytes to say something in romaji than in kana. This adds to the cost of replication, and it's why the (completed) NES prequel to Earthbound never saw a U.S. release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:58 am 

tepples wrote:
I'm pretty sure that in the case where the North American English version is bigger than the Japanese version, it's because it takes more bytes to say something in romaji than in kana.

Er, how would romaji have ANYTHING to do with an English version? Romaji is, by definition, Japanese! I assume you meant to say that it takes more space to store English text than Japanese text...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:15 am 

tepples wrote:
This adds to the cost of replication, and it's why the (completed) NES prequel to Earthbound never saw a U.S. release.

I don't think so, because the prototype is perfectly playable (or am I wrong) ?
Yes, writing something in english does surely take much more bytes than in japaneese, because one japaneese letter is two normal letters. I think that the majority of RPG developpers does prefer restrict the text a bit, or simply don't release the game in the US at all (like Just Breed).
Just Breed has even be perfectly translated, and the size is still the same (it would need a lot of romhacking to change it, but it was surely easyer for the developpers that have the tools for).
I found on http://www.dqshrine.com that the language was changed to medieval english just for fun, but actually it isn't in japaneese, so this also could increase the amount of letter -> of byte -> of PRG size

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:55 pm 

Quietust wrote:
Er, how would romaji have ANYTHING to do with an English version? Romaji is, by definition, Japanese!

I was under the impression that "romaji" meant only "Latin letters". If it specifically means "text in the Japanese language written with Latin letters", I stand corrected.

Quote:
I assume you meant to say that it takes more space to store English text than Japanese text...

Correct. In fact, English is comparatively space-efficient among languages using Latin letters.

Bregalad wrote:
I don't think so, because the prototype is perfectly playable (or am I wrong) ?

As I said, the North American NES prequel to Earthbound was completed but never commercially released. The dump we have today is from a stolen prototype. Compare the file size for the Earthbound proto to the file size for Mother (J) and you'll see why Nintendo decided that a North American release (including the cost of promotion) wouldn't be cost-effective.

Another thing: The English used in William Shakespeare's plays and the 1611 English version of the Bible ("thou didst" etc) is Early Modern English. Middle English was used centuries earlier than that and isn't nearly as mutually intelligible with 20th/21st century English as Early Modern English is. The so-called Great Vowel Shift separates the two eras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:04 pm 

tepples wrote:
Quietust wrote:
Er, how would romaji have ANYTHING to do with an English version? Romaji is, by definition, Japanese!

I was under the impression that "romaji" meant only "Latin letters". If it specifically means "text in the Japanese language written with Latin letters", I stand corrected.

as i read it, romaji is japanese, spelt phonetically with latin letters