My Mental Illness

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Post by tepples » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:55 am

I've always seen "spam" defined as bulk sending of unsolicited messages. But jargon's posts aren't sent in bulk, are they?

blargg

Post by blargg » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:45 pm

Do bulk paragraphs count?

tepples

Post by tepples » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:11 pm

Associated Press gets away with one-sentence paragraphs all the time. Just look at News Channel on Wii.

Xkeeper

Post by Xkeeper » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:49 pm

spam (n.) junk [newsgroup] postings.

or hell, from the acronym itself:

stupid
pointless
annoying
baisoku

Post by baisoku » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:48 pm

ARGH. I hate adding to the inferno.
But seriously, how long is this going to continue? It's hard to lurk with this bullshit. Don't-be-a-dick is being flagrantly violated. We're driving off interested readers because of some belief that we have to uphold letter-of-law ideals?
This is spirit-of-law we're talking about.
I don't have time to wade through this garbage.

Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:32 pm

Yes, I agree... but I already did a couple of times. :(

kevtris

Post by kevtris » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:42 pm

tepples wrote:I've always seen "spam" defined as bulk sending of unsolicited messages. But jargon's posts aren't sent in bulk, are they?
I'd call it spam. Every few days for awhile, I'd see 5 or 6 or more of his turds floating down the river, following up all the interesting posts with absolute tripe that had some possible tangental relationship. Usually crowing about some game or other program he supposidly wrote but it was left on a floppy disk, and his dog chewed it up or something. Such posts do precious little except annoy and cause confusion.
baisoku wrote: ARGH. I hate adding to the inferno.
But seriously, how long is this going to continue? It's hard to lurk with this bullshit. Don't-be-a-dick is being flagrantly violated. We're driving off interested readers because of some belief that we have to uphold letter-of-law ideals?
This is spirit-of-law we're talking about.
I don't have time to wade through this garbage.
I fully agree. "Don't be a dick" is being violated repeatedly. The only thing I have seen Tepples do about it is post some links to that "meta wiki" thing twice now which contained nothing but PC-speak feelgood bullshit. The last one about "Don't be a dick" attempted to use circular reasoning to finger-wag at anyone who would attempt to use the term:
from meta.wiki wrote: Telling someone "Don't be a dick" is something of a dick-move in itself, so don't bandy the criticism about lightly. Calling someone a dick can be considered poisoning the well (a logical fallacy that is a special case of an ad hominem attack).
tepples wrote: Please get a blog.
He *has* a blog, and a whole set of forums where he is nearly the sole poster (the only other posters are spam bots by the looks of things).

On said forum he slags anyone that disagrees with him. His "places I have been banned from" thread is epic, spanning 20 or so pages and includes some nice slags on #nesdev and this board, along with the supposid email he sent to Memblers when he got banned.

Reading that email, he's done several of the things he claimed he never did so make of that what you will.

(I have saved a .txt backup of this page in case it is taken down or edited in the future)
tepples wrote: NotTheCommonDose's early posts were crap. Celius' early posts were crap, and he admits it. My early posts were crap. A lot of regulars' early posts on the various iterations of this board were crap, if you take into account all posts across the Yahoo! Group, wwwThreads, and phpBB 2. That's why I'm not banning jargon just yet. But I might escalate the time-outs if he keeps using General Stuff as his blog.
Even if their early posts were crap, they have come around and stopped posting crap. Jargon doesn't seem to be able to stop posting crap. That is the entire point.

Doing these multiple "time outs" just encourages him to push the envelope and see what he can get away with for maximum trolling effect next time. Obviously, very few people like the absolute rubbish he's been posting and have made their feelings known. Hence the multiple "Should be ban..." posts, followups, and other discussion. I have never seen this much strife over something on these boards in all the years I have been here.

Being so wishy-washy on making the hard decisions is just poor form, and from the 'rules' thread I have to agree fully with Loopy:
Tepples wrote: I take it "fucktard", "dick", "jerk" and the like are defined as "inconsiderate person" like on Meta. But then how do I determine which posts show inconsiderate behavior?
Loopy wrote: No offence, but you shouldn't be a mod if you can't figure that out.
Tepples wrote: I try to figure it out as best I can, but I guess I might have disagreed with some people on whether or not jargon has been inconsiderate.

I guess the whole point of the matter is you cannot define it, and you have to sorta imply it. There's no black and white rules like "Meta" would have you believe. The first step is to discard anything on Meta as PC feelgood bullshit.

I assume many people are fed up with his useless followups to active threads, where he injects garbage only tangentally related to the topic. This is highly inconciderate to those in said threads. All it does is cause confusion and side-discussions which derail the more interesting on-topic discussions. This is pretty much the definition of being a dick, and a troll.

This "trolling for side discussions" is what annoys me more than him using the general forum as his personal toilet.

On a quick perusal, these are some examples I can come up with:

http://nesdev.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=37544#37544
http://nesdev.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=37675#37675
http://nesdev.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=37509#37509
http://nesdev.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=37379#37379
http://nesdev.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=37508#37508
http://nesdev.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=35802#35802

Laserbeak43

Post by Laserbeak43 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:44 pm

kevtris wrote:[
I assume many people are fed up with his useless followups to active threads, where he injects garbage only tangentally related to the topic. This is highly inconciderate to those in said threads. All it does is cause confusion and side-discussions which derail the more interesting on-topic discussions. This is pretty much the definition of being a dick, and a troll.
A-F&@$in-men!
jargon wrote:tonight i got owned
i spent a lot of money on dinner and a date with my ex
then i find out after bad sex she is still seeing someone
meanwhile i was paranoid any given other felon in her apartment were going to shoot or stab me...
...brain damage caused by such
well one thing's for certain, Native-American guys RUIN PUSSY!!!
Noob sticky!!
Please document this part of the NESdevWiki!! XD
YOU NEED A RETROMACHINESHOP!!

Xkeeper

Post by Xkeeper » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:51 pm

Honestly, the longer this goes on the more and more surprised I get.

Put a fucking moderator with balls and a frontal lobe in power already, christ. I hate to be a jerk, but seriously, enough.

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:24 am

On said forum he slags anyone that disagrees with him. His "places I have been banned from" thread is epic, spanning 20 or so pages and includes some nice slags on #nesdev and this board, along with the supposid email he sent to Memblers when he got banned.
If only he had been banned of here....
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.

tepples

Post by tepples » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:49 am

B&. Check his rank now.

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:15 pm

Ah, tepples THANK YOU !! I appreciate it VERY MUCH !
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.