It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

Last time there was a discussion about rules it went full circle, and came back to me declaring there are no rules, other than Parodius' policies and the general concept of "don't be a dick".

Yep this is the general forum, seems like some of the sentiment expressed may be that we could use an "NES General" section. Sometimes this section is kind of random, sometimes it's mostly game related.

The Israeli/Palestinian conflict is probably something a lot of people don't think about. Out of sight, out of mind. I think there are small groups of idiots on both sides that get all the attention, and by far the vast majority of normal and sensible people are living in the middle of it, quietly.

I think this kind of disconnect between people can be started by some kind of screwed-up doctrine, and fueled by racism and ignorance. Look at the history of north america, people (including my ancestors) have lived here basically forever, but they were turned into refugees in their own homes. Treaties were signed and broken immediately. It was a lot of bullshit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:19 pm 

Thank you Memblers.

Of course the idiots who make all the fuss by blowing themselves up do get all of the attention, but my main concern is that they voted Hamas as their government, and we all know what they think of the Jews/Israel. So why should they be given a state of their own?

I'm not saying that all Muslims wants the Jews dead, but the governments of the surrounding countries certainly do. How many times have they attacked Israel only to be defeated. If I were the Israelis, I wouldn't give those particular Muslims a minute of my time, let alone half my country.

Obviously I call for peace/end of discrimination on both sides, but when it comes down to a religious war, there never will be an end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:23 pm 

I think I'll side with Celius on this one. One of the things that makes this forum so great is the total lack of conversations about anything remotely controversial (unless you consider how to set up your meta-meta tiles controversial 8) ). I've been active on some other forums where it seemed controversy and flame wars appeared all the time and it just makes the place seem yucky like there's graffiti all over the place. I sincerely hope this forum continues to be the helpful, inviting and rational place that it is. Not that WedNESday was out of line asking a question about the middle east, far from it. My opinion is people over there need to STFU and play their video games more often :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:29 pm 

Yeah, its not too much different from the Catholics and Protestants over in Ireland only with oil rich lands facilitating certain hostile groups to become powerful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:59 pm 

Who likes rice? I like rice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:11 am 

ZomCoder wrote:
I think I'll side with Celius on this one. One of the things that makes this forum so great is the total lack of conversations about anything remotely controversial (unless you consider how to set up your meta-meta tiles controversial 8) ). I've been active on some other forums where it seemed controversy and flame wars appeared all the time and it just makes the place seem yucky like there's graffiti all over the place. I sincerely hope this forum continues to be the helpful, inviting and rational place that it is. Not that WedNESday was out of line asking a question about the middle east, far from it. My opinion is people over there need to STFU and play their video games more often :lol:

If only everyone around the world played videogames... :(

Then they would be too busy killing on their PC's to kill each other... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:11 am 

I totally second that. And if they played many RPGs, they would be taught get great philosophy lessons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:06 am 

Banshaku wrote:
In this situation, we should let a moderator decide it this topic is appropriate or not. Tepples, what do you think?

Even religion and politics can be on-topic:
  • Discussion related to a game with a political or religious message. For example, if a Wisdom Tree title is shown to misrepresent doctrine, how it might have been fixed (or not) given the NES's limitations.
  • Discussion of policy that might restrict NES development. For example, imagine that a US President's copyright czar wants to implement a policy that might outlaw CIClone in two-thirds of the developed anglophone world (or even more in the case of treaties like the ACTA proposal).
I draw the line at personal attacks. I also draw the line at posting off-topic more often than on when the poster has repeatedly been informed of a better venue (e.g. jargon who refused to get his own blog).

WedNESday wrote:
If only everyone around the world played videogames... :(

Then they would be too busy killing on their PC's to kill each other... :(

That or they'd climb the ladders in war shooters like America's Army and think that makes them soldier material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:41 am 

Strictly speaking under the DMCA the cicclone could be considered illegal within the US because it is a device that circumvents security, but it wont be enforced because nobody cares.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:21 pm 
Formerly Fx3

tepples wrote:
Even religion and politics can be on-topic:
  • Discussion related to a game with a political or religious message. For example, if a Wisdom Tree title is shown to misrepresent doctrine, how it might have been fixed (or not) given the NES's limitations.
  • Discussion of policy that might restrict NES development. For example, imagine that a US President's copyright czar wants to implement a policy that might outlaw CIClone in two-thirds of the developed anglophone world (or even more in the case of treaties like the ACTA proposal).

- This isn't the case in both cases... is it? o.O Anyway, right, I don't mind, I prefer to stay out of topics like this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:28 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
I totally second that. And if they played many RPGs, they would be taught get great philosophy lessons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:22 pm 

naI wrote:
Bregalad wrote:

Nice one!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:45 am 

peppers wrote:
Strictly speaking under the DMCA the cicclone could be considered illegal within the US because it is a device that circumvents security, but it wont be enforced because nobody cares.

Years later, the Lexmark v. Static Control Components case was finally resolved, showing strong evidence of CIClone's legality.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:12 am 

tepples wrote:
peppers wrote:

Years later, the Lexmark v. Static Control Components case was finally resolved, showing strong evidence of CIClone's legality.
So, this is a necrobump in a thread that is arguably off-topic, and the reply itself is off-topic to the thread...

And IMO, the topic, as asked in the original post is not even tangentially related to NES dev, or technology, video games or other related subjects, unlike the examples you gave 8 years ago. Those examples only showed that religion and politics CAN be on-topic, not that they are by default.

It's good that old /bbs/ links are redirected, though.