Favorite Mega Drive/Genesis soundtrack

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Genesis

Post by tepples »

In [url=http://nesdev.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=60490#60490]this post[/url], miau wrote:*waiting for the "What's your favorite Genesis soundtrack" thread to pop up*
Don't. Someone will say Abacab.
Last edited by tepples on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

miau wrote: *waiting for the "What's your favorite Genesis soundtrack" thread to pop up*
Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Shining Force, Shining Force 2.

Can't think of anything else any good for the Genesis.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
MetalSlime

Post by MetalSlime »

Sword of Vermilion has the best soundtrack. I like Phantasy Star 2 also. I'll second Shining Force as well. Don't remember the Shining Force 2 music.
MetalSlime runs away.
Roth

Post by Roth »

One of my favorites is Skitchin'! Here's a playlist I found on YouTube. The music goes great with the game play!
blargg

Post by blargg »

I've probably logged more hours listening to Michael Jackson's Moonwalker soundtrack than any other. I had never heard the real versions of these songs until many years later, heh.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I don't have a complete list but here's a few that comes to mind:

- Street of rage series in general
- Castlevania: bloodline (I prefer this one now better than the snes cv4)
- Valis 3 version was nice
- Shinobi in general (same composer as street of rage)
- Midnight Resistance

I will try to add more once I have a chance.
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Anything by H. Sakimoto: Midnight Resistance, Verytex, Bad Omen, Master of Monsters, Gauntlet IV.

Sonic 3D Blast

Revenge of Shinobi

Golden Axe I & II
dr_sloppy

Post by dr_sloppy »

Hard to say, but at least I think that the 'Green Hills' tune in Sonic 1 is the one that makes me most nostalgic, if that matters.
RT-55J

Post by RT-55J »

miau

Post by miau »

Ristar is clearly my favorite soundtrack on the Genesis.

Followed by:

Also, all the metal heads on this forum should check out M.U.S.H.A.. A very frantic and highly enjoyable soundtrack if you can get used to the FM guitars.
UncleSporky

Post by UncleSporky »

MetalSlime wrote:Sword of Vermilion has the best soundtrack. I like Phantasy Star 2 also. I'll second Shining Force as well. Don't remember the Shining Force 2 music.
Yes, Sword of Vermilion!

I even got a guy to play one of the village themes on classical guitar. :)

Along with Shining Force, Shining in the Darkness has some great heroic medieval themes.

Another one that nobody has mentioned is Toejam and Earl which is incredibly funky/goofy and fits the game perfectly.
Hamtaro126

Post by Hamtaro126 »

Magical Hat/Decap Attack
Ristar
Sonic series

That's about it.
AKA SmilyMZX/AtariHacker.
MetalSlime

Post by MetalSlime »

UncleSporky wrote:
MetalSlime wrote:Sword of Vermilion has the best soundtrack. I like Phantasy Star 2 also. I'll second Shining Force as well. Don't remember the Shining Force 2 music.
Yes, Sword of Vermilion!

I even got a guy to play one of the village themes on classical guitar. :)

Along with Shining Force, Shining in the Darkness has some great heroic medieval themes.

Another one that nobody has mentioned is Toejam and Earl which is incredibly funky/goofy and fits the game perfectly.
Thanks for sharing that video. Sounds really good on guitar. I like to play old video game songs on guitar too, but I think that guy is better at arranging than I am.

Don't know how I forgot to mention Toejam & Earl. One of my favorite games ever. Awesome soundtrack - every song is great!

Seeing Herzog and MoM mentioned brings some warm fuzzy childhood memories back. Don't remember the music though.
MetalSlime runs away.
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

Hmm. Can't really say, but after perusing my most recently-played soundtracks, I can say I highly recommend anything by Motoaki Takenouchi (Jewel Master, Landstalker, Shining Force II). "Treasure Hunter Nigel" from Landstalker used to lodge itself in my brain for hours when I was younger. "Jewel Master" from the game of the same name is also terribly catchy.

[edit]
PUGGSY. A nice, clean-sounding soundtrack by Matt Furniss and Shaun Hollingworth with some fantastic DAC drums. Something about the fake bell instrument they use really tickles my eardrums, and it probably has one of the happiest, bounciest ending themes I've ever heard.
mic_

Post by mic_ »

Red Zone
Contra Hard Corps (which I, btw, consider a better game than Contra 3)
Castlevania : Bloodlines
Gods