New users: How to fit in

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

New users: How to fit in

Post by tepples »

Before you post for the first time, read standard operating procedure. And just because we have an offtopic forum doesn't mean you need to make half your posts here. This isn't Gen[M]ay.
MrNickelAss

Post by MrNickelAss »

I'm a major proponent of just being yourself... unless, of course you can be Batman. No. What if we know nothing about nesdev and still want to be a part of this site in some way shape or form?!?
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Honestly, I'd encourage to do like most of has, read and learn so you can start helping in many ways. 2 years ago, I didn't know 6502. Now I know 6502 like I know English and have the NES hardware down pat. It's really awesome, but it's difficult at times. But it's very much worth it to be able to help people. :)
tepples

Post by tepples »

If you know nothing about nesdev, then probably the best way to become part of the community is to look through Homebrew Projects, find a few that are playable, try them in an emulator, and give constructive criticism.
B00daW

Re: New users: How to fit in

Post by B00daW »

Luckily this community has gone pretty far and has remained pretty mature. We've been a haven for freedom of expression and tolerance since inception as well; even the old forum.

One thing I have a hard time tolerating is personal attacks within public forums; which seemingly has arisen. Passionate arguments related to subject matter are one thing; and merit discussion for sure. However, correct me if I'm wrong, anything personal that requires discretion should be directed within private messages. Also, and I don't want to assert "backseat driving", any user complaints should be directed toward forum moderators with descript quotations of the offense; related to NESdev forums activities. (Public complaints should be irrelevant.)

Perhaps communication to this degree within moderator language would be helpful to derail any potential undesirables.