Voice your problems with me (blargg) here

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

blargg

Voice your problems with me (blargg) here

Post by blargg » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:42 am

Please post any issues you have with things I post or whatever. I'd like to resolve whatever issues people have with me, here or in private. If you don't want to resolve something, please don't make random attacks on me.

clueless

Post by clueless » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:37 pm

Your avatar has too much red in it. :)

*poke*

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:49 pm

Idk, I like everyone on here so yeah.....If anything, thanks for not banning me for pulling alot of topics off topic. Sorry abut those... :oops:

I JUST DID IT AGAIN. -facepalm-

But nah man no problems with you here at all....It'd be a different thing if I was making a emulator and failed your tests though. ;)

blargg

Post by blargg » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:59 pm

I'm just a regular user like anyone else. I'm not a moderator, never have been. But come on, post here or contact me privately. I'd like to at least hear what problems people have with me, even if minor or trivial. I know Bregalad does, so I hope he speaks up at some point.

tepples

Post by tepples » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:40 pm

blargg wrote:I'd like to at least hear what problems people have with me, even if minor or trivial.
Something like I did three years ago?

peppers

Post by peppers » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:27 pm

why would you think you bother anybody? I can't see how or why you would.

I can see why somebody might be a bit annoyed with me since I don't actually contribute anything to the forum related to NES software development, but for you this is not the case.

cpow
NESICIDE developer

Re: Voice your problems with me (blargg) here

Post by cpow » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:37 pm

blargg wrote:Please post any issues you have with things I post or whatever. I'd like to resolve whatever issues people have with me, here or in private. If you don't want to resolve something, please don't make random attacks on me.
Seriously? *I* personally have nothing but good/great things to say regarding your contributions to the dev/emu community and your posts here and PMs and real-time help you've provided to me in the past.

Realizing that's not what you're looking for with this post...but...gotta share my admiration anyway.

Drag

Post by Drag » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:55 pm

If this is in response to certain users calling you out on stuff in the previous threads, I think it's better for you to talk to them, rather than invite everyone to voice nonexistent problems in a thread.

From what I've seen around here, a lot of people just need to lighten up and stop taking everything so damn seriously. I understand it's nice to have serious discussion when it's time to be serious, but that's no reason for everyone to be so tense and defensive all the time.

Also, in before this post is completely disregarded. :P
Last edited by Drag on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xkeeper

Post by Xkeeper » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:03 am

you suck, blargg

you can resolve this suckitude by building a great debugger bmf can use to hax SNES ROMs because snes9x's geiger debugger blows

Kasumi

Post by Kasumi » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:10 am

I remember when you had a problem with something I posted (or vice versa, I honestly forget who contacted who) we had a discussion in private about it via PM. I have respect for that.

Edit: But really, I don't want to get into this. I don't take issue with how you go about things.

Edit 2: Super but really. You're a good guy, blargg.

blargg

Post by blargg » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:09 am

Drag wrote:If this is in response to certain users calling you out on stuff in the previous threads, I think it's better for you to talk to them, rather than invite everyone to voice nonexistant problems in a thread.
The problem is/was that I don't know who has problems. I wasn't asking anyone to make up things, just to voice any problems they might have had.

peppers

Post by peppers » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:45 am

I believe that your over thinking this and have invented a problem that simply dose not exist, I don't mean to be rude but perhaps this is more of a self esteem issue on your part. There is no possible way you have generated enough ill will to gain anything productive from a posting such as this.

If there is never a difference is opinion then nothing is really gained from discussion and a forum such as this serves little purpose.

Celius

Post by Celius » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:25 pm

Blargg, you are one of the most knowledgeable users here. I read some of the discussions you have here with other users, I really don't know even WTF you guys are talking about half the time. Your contributions to the NESdev community are huge.

There have been a few times, however, where I've been bothered by the way you've communicated with other users, myself included. Like Peppers has mentioned, I think you may sometimes create problems that don't exist. I remember one time where we were discussion who could be a new moderator, and I said something about "we don't need a tyrant", and you were asking me if I was calling you a tyrant. I of course, wasn't. That reading too much in to things can hurt sometimes.

Another time was when a new user posted a question in the Newbie Help Center, and your response was a link to "How to ask questions the smart way". That kind of thing, I think we could do without. You don't need to make people feel stupid, especially when they're new users who already feel stupid for asking basic questions.

The only other thing I find is that there is often just a slight vibe of negativity/pessimism in a lot of your posts. For that reason, it just doesn't surprise me that you created a topic like this, where as I'd be shocked if someone like tokumaru created a topic like this. I use tokumaru as an example, because I find him to be a very -optimistic- user. It seems as if you want to focus on the bad side of things sometimes.

I think you just need to lighten up. Have a more welcoming attitude. You've provided the NESdev community with so much information, it's ridiculous. Your presence is most certainly a "plus"; I just think it could be more of a "plus" if you showed a little more optimism/positivity.

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:29 pm

Wow what Celius said is incredibly well worded.

As for me I have a major problem only with people who "kindly" ask how to make illegal bootlegs of their "favourite" (S)NES game (which is often a valuable one by collectors), to sell them later and make a lot of cash.
I also have a major problem with a specific member of this board (it's not blarg nor anyone who has been around recently) for a similar reason ("kindly" asking stuff here and earning lot of money from the answers), and I clearly stated it and explained why back when the problem became apparent to me. Since then I haven't ever posted in any of his threads because I don't want anyone to earn money from my advice.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.

blargg

Post by blargg » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:54 pm

Bregalad's objections are similar to why I sometimes get annoyed at new people's questions.

* Very little information about the problem posted.
* Information left out because the problem clearly couldn't be due to those things (or could it?).
* Original posts editied or heavily modified once problem is solved, without any posting of what the solution was. In other words, "hey, solve my problem, and then I'll just delete everything since I'm satisfied, never mind that it won't help anyone else".
* Not listening to responses given.

That's part of the more general thing that annoys me, is people doing things that seem a detriment to discussions. That's what How to ask questions the smart way is about: getting help in a way that isn't a zero-sum exchange between you and others. Anyone who has ever used Usenet is probably familiar with people who post a question but request that solutions be emailed, the classic selfish behavior that is purely zero-sum.

I agree with Celius that I have a negative tone a lot, but I disagree that one can just "lighten up" any more than one can get angry on command (method actors excluded). In fact, my experience has shown that ignoring things is the surest way to make them worse. Sure, it'd be nice to not get angry about anything, but it's not really a choice. I would like to deal with things better, which is one reason I started this thread. Interaction is the best way to alter perception, for example why I asked if Celius was calling me a tyrant in that incident a while back he mentioned. Merely ignoring it wouldn't make the perception on my part go away. Again, one cannot merely just "lighten up", and it's a bit frustrating to be told to do that. Thus, I asked him about it and altered my perception in a meaningful way. There's no question that much of my issues arise from outside nesdev, but there's not much I can do about it (I've tried for many years without success), so I've got to just deal with it as best as I can.