Voice your problems with me (blargg) here

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:51 pm

I try to avoid threads like this (as much as a big part of me doesn't want to), but I thought I'd drop by an state my piece. Remember, I'm just one guy, so my vote/opinion/whatever should hold as much ground as anyone else.

I don't have a problem with the way you communicate at all, blargg. In fact, when you started making an appearance on the nesdev forum, I was delighted to see a new face that consisted of someone knowledgeable *and* wanted to share details in such a way that made sense to readers. It also helps that your focal point was on NES audio, which is something a lot of people took a stab at without knowledge of waveforms and EE (myself included!).

You take the time to explain things; this was one of my biggest irritations with the nesdev community (highly technical/knowledgeable people who would be as terse as possible, almost as if they were intentionally trying to piss you off). So, I thank you for your time and your efforts here.

Anyway, all that said...

I think it's important that all of us take into consideration that we're all different. What does that mean exactly? This: we all have different personality or even mental quirks (OCD, ADD, Asperger's, forms of narcissism, etc.), we all think differently, we all react differently, and we all have different senses of humour (I, for example, will never understand tepples). Diversity in mind, body, and soul is one of the things that makes us humans an amazing species. Learning to communicate and "deal" with one another is part of any community effort (and is a big problem in open-source communities too).

I mean, try to imagine a purely homogeneous nesdev community -- straight up Children of the Corn shit, let me tell you...

tepples

Post by tepples » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:46 pm

koitsu wrote:we all have different senses of humour (I, for example, will never understand tepples).
I'm aware that the quirks of my twisted Aspie mind could fill a wiki. So feel free to PM me about jokes that you don't understand.
I mean, try to imagine a purely homogeneous nesdev community -- straight up Children of the Corn shit, let me tell you...
Children of the KoЯn, on the other hand, can identify the track from Covers vol. 1 that I'm thinking of.

hap

Post by hap » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:07 am

you're a great guy blargg :)
random attacks? you deserve the opposite: r_e_s_p_e_c_t

blargg

Post by blargg » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:10 pm

There are two elements: technical things I've contributed, and the tone of posting I make. It's possible to contribute a lot but still be mean sometimes. I don't think technical contributions excuse being mean, no matter how much is contributed. People may think the tradeoff is worth it and excuse the latter so as not to lose the former, but that's strategic. Bregalad, here's a perfect example of the economics I was saying are everywhere. :)

doppelganger

Post by doppelganger » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:21 pm

koitsu wrote:
You take the time to explain things; this was one of my biggest irritations with the nesdev community (highly technical/knowledgeable people who would be as terse as possible, almost as if they were intentionally trying to piss you off). So, I thank you for your time and your efforts here.
I think I have that problem. See, as good as I am at understanding things, sometimes I fail at explaining things. Sometimes I get frustrated at people when I have to explain things more than a few times, although this varies based on how technical or difficult things are (for example, I don't expect the average layperson to understand what the hell strobing a register means). Sometimes I make the mistake of assuming a person will understand what I've explained the first time they read it. But I realize I'm not perfect and I'm trying to improve myself.
koitsu wrote: I mean, try to imagine a purely homogeneous nesdev community -- straight up Children of the Corn shit, let me tell you...
I think we'll be safe as long as the homogeneous community doesn't take up residence in Gatlin, Nebraska.

blargg

Post by blargg » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:05 pm

doppelganger wrote:(for example, I don't expect the average layperson to understand what the hell strobing a register means).
I just recently finally understood the origin: a strobe light. It flashes and you see a lingering afterimage of whatever was happening at that moment. And this is what the controller strobe does.

doppelganger

Post by doppelganger » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:26 am

blargg wrote: I just recently finally understood the origin: a strobe light. It flashes and you see a lingering afterimage of whatever was happening at that moment. And this is what the controller strobe does.
What, it leaves an afterimage of whatever buttons were pressed on the buffer chip inside the controller? To the tune of rave music? Unn tss unn tss unn tss unn tss?
Be whatever the situation demands.

tepples

Post by tepples » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:29 pm

Pretty much. The un (followed by a zéro) leaves the afterimage of the keypresses in a shift register; the "tss" is the clock signals that push each bit through the line and out the controller port.