Any other hams out there? (just got my license)

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

drk421

Any other hams out there? (just got my license)

Post by drk421 »

Got my Technicians license, and I was checking out PSK31 over HF. Very neat stuff. Only 31.5 baud, but is fine for sending IMs. All you need is a computer with a sound card (I/O) and a transceiver. (A big antenna helps).

Never knew this stuff was so neat.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Not yet, but I've always wanted to.

Also, just curious: did you have to learn Morse? I've gotten mixed reports of whether or not getting your license *today* requires you to know Morse. I know for a fact they used to, but some people say it's no longer a requirement...

All in all, I've been interested in HAM for awhile; totally cool stuff. Under perfect conditions you can get something like the equivalent of 2400bps, which is enough to play nethack from atop of a hill in the middle of no where! *stoked*
drk421

Post by drk421 »

No, you don't have to learn code to get a technicians license. But if you want to transmit on the lower bands 6 meters and below, you need to learn code. Don't expect to be using phone (voice transmissions) on the lower bands anyway, they sound horrible and everyone uses CW, RTTY or PSK31 on the lower bands anyway.

You can get up to 19.2K baud on the higher UHF bands, but you will be limited to line of sight.
1200 baud is also too much for the lower bands (skywave), but PSK31 is where its at! 30 baud, but fine for just chatting!
tepples

Post by tepples »

If you can play DDR, Beatmania, Donkey Konga, or any other music game, you can learn Morse code.

Does anyone wish for some sort of "Morse (PD).nes"?