MGC 2011 Nesdev homebrew exhibit

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

clueless

MGC 2011 Nesdev homebrew exhibit

Post by clueless » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:29 am

Hello everyone,

I posted this help request on Nintendoage.com a few minutes ago. I'm posting here too, for those of you that read this site but not the other. I'm seeking help with some artwork for physical media (posters and possibly handouts / fliers).

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messag ... adid=47830
The MGC has provided some space in the Ben Heck room for some of us nesdev'rs to show off our homebrew. Tepples, Memblers and myself are creating a multi-cart with 6 of our games on it. We will be demoing them Saturday and Sunday.

From noon until 4pm on Saturday I'll be holding a competition (high score in my Yars' Revenge NES port). Top three scores will be awarded prototypes of the multi-cart.

I need some help though, with artwork. I wanted to have some posters or something to hang on the wall above our table - to let MGC attendees know what our table is about. I thought about including artwork from our games and possibly the nesdev web site logo (http://nesdev.com/bbs). ; But I'm a terrible artist. I can use ms-paint, but not gimp (at least, not very well).

The local Office Depot has a print-shop that can make nice posters (solid backs, laminated, 24" x 36"). They need as input a 600 DPI jpeg or png. If anyone reading this is a decent artist and is willing to create a few largish images for us to use, I would appreciate it. Please contact me (PM or public post, either is fine). I can provide some screen-shots from our games later today.

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:27 pm

When's the deadline? And what are the dimensions of the posters? I feel like giving this a try... I work professionally as a designer, so I *should* be able to come up with something. I need some shots/descriptions of the games though, to get some inspiration for the art.

tepples

Post by tepples » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:44 pm

You won't like this. They're all single-screen games.

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:51 pm

tepples wrote:You won't like this. They're all single-screen games.
Don't worry, I was kinda expecting that. Just for the record, I don't find single-screen games necessarily bad, but since 95% of NES homebrews are like that I think it was time we explored other things, possibly more interesting technically, you know?

clueless

Post by clueless » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:12 pm

tokumaru wrote:
Don't worry, I was kinda expecting that. Just for the record, I don't find single-screen games necessarily bad, but since 95% of NES homebrews are like that I think it was time we explored other things, possibly more interesting technically, you know?
I think that I did ok for my first real attempt at NES homebrew. My next title will be more ambitious. Sadly, I probably won't have time to complete anything as grandiose as I'd like to. :( Work work work. Gotta pay the bills. Clueless needs a new roof, new windows, new gutters, reslope the yard, etc.... :(

clueless

Post by clueless » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:14 pm

I have some stills here: http://www.nesyar.com I can post a few more later tonight.

Tokumaru, I would very much appreciate seeing what you can do for us. The max poster size is 24" x 36". They need 600 DPI images, which is huge at this size. I suppose I can bring in something that it a lower DPI and they can scale it up. I don't know what that will look like though.

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:47 pm

clueless wrote:The max poster size is 24" x 36". They need 600 DPI images, which is huge at this size. I suppose I can bring in something that it a lower DPI and they can scale it up.
I'm sure they can scale it up, but if they require 600 DPI that's probably what it takes for it to look decent. I'll probably do this as vectors though, so the image can be rendered at any resolution. Can you tell me what's my deadline?

clueless

Post by clueless » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:51 pm

tokumaru wrote:
clueless wrote:The max poster size is 24" x 36". They need 600 DPI images, which is huge at this size. I suppose I can bring in something that it a lower DPI and they can scale it up.
I'm sure they can scale it up, but if they require 600 DPI that's probably what it takes for it to look decent. I'll probably do this as vectors though, so the image can be rendered at any resolution. Can you tell me what's my deadline?
I would say Thursday afternoon (USA - CST). I'd like to see a preliminary version tomorrow, if its ok. I'd like to know what direction you'll go with it. I need to make some fliers / handouts and would like to coordinate. I need to have something that explains the rules of the contest + the play mechanics of my game (it differs slightly from the original).

Drag

Post by Drag » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:52 pm

tokumaru wrote:
Like scrolling flickscreen? ;)

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:51 pm

Deadline is too tight guys, sorry. I have just a couple hours every night for personal stuff, there's no way I can do something decent in just two days (and I even tried tonight, but... there's just no time). I'd need at least a week.

clueless

Post by clueless » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:53 pm

tokumaru wrote:Deadline is too tight guys, sorry. I have just a couple hours every night for personal stuff, there's no way I can do something decent in just two days (and I even tried tonight, but... there's just no time). I'd need at least a week.
Ok. I understand.

However, I'm not looking for a rock-star poster like one would buy in a store. Just something... organized.

No problem. I'll think of something. Its not a huge problem if we don't have a sign over our table. idk why I'm so obsessed with it.

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:54 am

So it's over now right? How was it? Clueless: contact me trough pm. We seem to be just missing each other.

clueless

Post by clueless » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:47 am

Jeroen wrote:So it's over now right? How was it? Clueless: contact me trough pm. We seem to be just missing each other.
Yup. Saturday was the busy day. Sunday was less so. The event was supposed to run until 5pm Sunday, but traffic really died down after 3pm. At 3pm I packed up my stuff. Memblers + big_jt had to leave an hour before that for their trip home.

Late last night I posted a detailed update on NintendoAge: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messag ... &forumid=1

Funny stories:

Tepples' bus was running late, and he missed his connection in Chicago. He would have had a 7 hour layover, and that would have sucked. So at 2am on Saturday morning (after having been up for almost 20 hours), big_jt and I drove down to Chicago to pick him up. I think that we got home around 5am. I got 3 hours of sleep before getting back up and going to the MGC Saturday morning.

Some cosplay girl was wondering around. I'm not certain, but I think that she was supposed to be Trixie from Speed Racer. Near the end of Sunday, Ben Heck's prized (and one of the kind) Bill Paxton pinball machine had a short or something and let out its magic smoke (combination of burnt plastic, burnt copper + ozone indicative of a failed electrical component).

We had a great time. I wish that you could have made it. We took a group photo of everyone from the nesdev + n64dev teams (except udisi, who had to manage his vendor exhibit). We will definitely be better prepared next year, and hopefully with some fresh homebrew and have enough carts that we can sell some.

btw, your game, "Pung: Balls of Steel" is insanely hard. The ball moves much faster than the paddles.

mikeryan

Post by mikeryan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Hey nesdev guys, it was nice meeting all of you at MGC. Really great set of demos.

I'm the n64dev guy who was constantly trying to sell marshall's cart to the passersby :)
clueless wrote:We took a group photo of everyone from the nesdev + n64dev teams (except udisi, who had to manage his vendor exhibit).
Let me know when/where you get that photo online!

clueless

Post by clueless » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:45 am

mikeryan wrote:Hey nesdev guys, it was nice meeting all of you at MGC. Really great set of demos.

I'm the n64dev guy who was constantly trying to sell marshall's cart to the passersby :)
clueless wrote:We took a group photo of everyone from the nesdev + n64dev teams (except udisi, who had to manage his vendor exhibit).
Let me know when/where you get that photo online!
I'll PM you the URL in a moment. I hesitate to post the picture publicly because I have not secured permission from everyone in it.