Cool "Streemerz" game from Action52 Remake Project

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

thefox

Post by thefox »

Good news -- the maps are indeed in the binary blobs. Here's a little Python script to parse the array out of one of them:

Code: Select all

import struct

f = open( "binary004.bin", "rb" )

# Skip the Flash stuff.
f.seek( 12, 1 )

sig = f.read( 10 )
if sig != "CNC ARRAY\0":
    print "Signature didn't match"
    exit()

def readInt( f ):
    return struct.unpack( "<i", f.read( 4 ) )[ 0 ]

ver = readInt( f )
x_dim = readInt( f )
y_dim = readInt( f )
z_dim = readInt( f )
option_flags = readInt( f )

print ver, x_dim, y_dim, z_dim, option_flags
assert option_flags & 0b11 == 1

array = [ ]

for z in range( z_dim ):
    array.append( [ ] )
    for y in range( y_dim ):
        array[ -1 ].append( [ ] )
        for x in range( x_dim ):
            array[ -1 ][ -1 ].append( readInt( f ) )

# For each z, print each row.
for z in range( z_dim ):
    print "z = {}:".format( z )
    for y in range( y_dim ):
        print array[ z ][ y ]
Here's the tilemap that is used:

The map from binary004.bin corresponds to map4.jpg in tepples' screen shots, which will certainly be useful later when making sure that things look the way they should.

BTW Dwedit, if you have a way of extracting all the media (pictures, audio) from the SWF file in some automated way, I'd appreciate that. Currently I have to capture these one by one manually.

EDIT: One more thing. There are three layers in the map files:
- z = 2 is layer where most of the background stuff is
- z = 1 contains some other stuff like the dead guy/whatever in map4 (tiles 99, 100)
- z = 0 contains the doors (tiles 117, 118) and some other stuff
Didn't figure out the exact purpose of these extra layers just yet.
Last edited by thefox on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Images from the game (You already got most of the tileset, everything else is sprites or other misc images)

Sounds from the game. I had to rename these by hand and delete duplicates. Most names are based on the export symbol names, but they're not identical.

edit: screwed up on one of the sound effects, oh well..
Last edited by Dwedit on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Bananmos

Post by Bananmos »

Heh, there's cheetahmen sprites inside! Is it an unlockable secret I didn't discover when playing the flash version, or is it one of those planned features that didn't make it to the end? In any case, it'd be fun to have them in your NES version... :)
thefox

Post by thefox »

Dwedit wrote:Images from the game (You already got most of the tileset, everything else is sprites or other misc images)

Sounds from the game. I had to rename these by hand and delete duplicates. Most names are based on the export symbol names, but they're not identical.
Thanks! Ah, so the numbering in the map actually doesn't start from 1, I just accidentally cropped off the left and right border from the tileset image.

tepples, can you split the NES version related messages from this thread to a new thread under the Homebrew Projects forum?
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

The cheetahmen sprites appear when you replay the last area. You race against your ghost, and the ghost is a cheetahman.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Bananmos

Post by Bananmos »

The cheetahmen sprites appear when you replay the last area. You race against your ghost, and the ghost is a cheetahman.
Ahh... I replayed the whole game with Professor Tary and with Master-Y, but So I guess the cheetahman will only appear if you replay the whole game with Superb Joe after beating it once?
tepples

Post by tepples »

thefox wrote:tepples, can you split the NES version related messages from this thread to a new thread under the Homebrew Projects forum?
PM me with details and I'll do so. It's just hard to keep continuity in a split topic when I can't find a single run of posts that make the digression self-contained. And except for the first few posts, most posts in this topic appear to be about either the NES port or the REing of the Flash game to make the NES port. Otherwise, it might be easiest just to create a new topic in Homebrew Projects.
thefox

Post by thefox »

tepples wrote:
thefox wrote:tepples, can you split the NES version related messages from this thread to a new thread under the Homebrew Projects forum?
PM me with details and I'll do so. It's just hard to keep continuity in a split topic when I can't find a single run of posts that make the digression self-contained. And except for the first few posts, most posts in this topic appear to be about either the NES port or the REing of the Flash game to make the NES port. Otherwise, it might be easiest just to create a new topic in Homebrew Projects.
Yeah, I made a new thread for it: http://nesdev.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=91095