Final Fantasy VI: Get General Leo without hacking

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Dwedit

Final Fantasy VI: Get General Leo without hacking

Post by Dwedit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:14 pm

Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

UncleSporky

Post by UncleSporky » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:15 pm

It is indeed. Thanks for sharing.

So, are you going to step through FF6 now to find out precisely why all of this happens? :P

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:28 pm

Aside from the weird airship-get glitch, everything else makes perfect sense. (Except for that raft stuff! WTF!)

You interrupt the flow of the game so that you return to Banon's scenario after the Leo scene. The game overwrote Banon's data with Leo's data. So when you resume the scene, you get Leo instead of Banon. Then you can fly around the World of Balance and do whatever you want.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:40 pm

That is indeed pretty awesome. I remember Leo related rumors from long ago. For whatever reason, probably since you couldn't have him, everyone wanted to have him for the rest of the game. Reminds me of hacks that let you have Kefka in your party. There is alot of weird stuff in that game. And I certainly remember a number of hacks to "bug fix" the game exist.

UncleSporky

Post by UncleSporky » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:07 pm

I'm not asking anyone to actually put in the work, but I really would be interested in knowing how the airship glitch works.

Specifically why you need to return to it, fly around a bit, and THEN die. What kind of mysterious flag is that?

Using the airship from a non-world-map location...? Actually, that's probably it. It's one rare occurrence where the game says "as they exit this map, they are already on the airship."

strat

Post by strat » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:57 pm

FFVIA has its share of bugs, too.
[[61]] What bugs have been fixed in this version?

The two main bugs that have been fixed in this version are the Vanish/Doom and Evade bugs. The infamous Vanish/Doom exploit in the SNES version allowed you to defeat almost every enemy using an Instant Death attack if you simply Vanished them first. This will no longer work against enemies immune to Instant Death.

Also, the Evade stat did nothing in the SNES versions, as both physical and magical evasion were handled by MBlock. This has been fixed in this version; now physical evasion is handled by the Evade stat. This makes previously useless items like the Beads useful. As a side effect, the Dark status did nothing in the SNES version. It now properly reduces hit rate in half.

[[62]] What bugs have not been fixed in this version?

The Rippler attack is still a mess and trade certain questionable statuses such as Shadow’s Interceptor. As a result, if an enemy uses Rippler on Shadow, Interceptor is traded to that enemy, and defeating that enemy will make you lose Interceptor forever. Conversely, you can trade Interceptor to other characters using Rippler as well. Also, Celes can still be permanently replaced with the Moogle Kutan (Moghan), though you are not going to trigger this by accident. The Psycho Cyan glitch has not been fixed, but you have to do the steps in a different order in order to trigger it.

[[63]] What bugs have been added in this version?

The major bug that has added is the Imp Immunity bug. This causes attacks that are supposed to inflict multiple statuses including Imp to fail automatically if the target is immune to Imp. This means that the other statuses that were supposed to come with the attack will not be inflicted regardless if the target’s immunity or lack thereof for these statuses.

Other than that, there is an Item Duplication bug (described in [35]) and a Level Resetting bug (described in [06]).

http://www.gamespot.com/final-fantasy-v ... 63/?page=1
Also on a FFVIA playthrough I somehow got Strago's battle sprite replaced with a Moogle, but he still had Strago's stats. That was really distracting.

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:46 pm

This article is wonderful, thanks Dwedit.

AWJ

Post by AWJ » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:19 pm

strat wrote:Also on a FFVIA playthrough I somehow got Strago's battle sprite replaced with a Moogle, but he still had Strago's stats. That was really distracting.
That's not a bug, that's what happens when you equip the Moogle Suit. Yeah, for some reason an otherwise unremarkable mid-game armor for Strago is the one and only piece of equipment in the game that changes the wearer's appearance (I guess because they already had a Moogle sprite, but not a character-sized cat, chocobo, squirrel or behemoth sprite...)