Holy Crap!

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Movax

Holy Crap!

Post by Movax »

I want it! - Someone lone me some cash please!!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 8248427072
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

A sealed game is always nice but... do you really think TETRIS is worth 250+ bucks?
danimal

Post by danimal »

I think its worth a lot more. I know I pay alot more if I had the money.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Why is it worth so much for you guys? I don't get it...
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Tengen licensed Tetris from some company that apparantly didn't have the rights to it, Nintendo made their version of Tetris and sued Tengen. The courts ruled that Tengen had to recall and destroy all copies of the game.

So just the cart by itself is rare enough (selling for about $25-$40), but a sealed copy is just crazy. It's a lot better than Nintendo's version, I don't know what kind of dork would've kept the game sealed all that time. :)

I wouldn't pay much for it, but then again, almost all the carts in my collection are ones that I got for really cheap.
danimal

Post by danimal »

tokumaru wrote:Why is it worth so much for you guys? I don't get it...
Have you ever collected baseball cards?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

danimal wrote:Have you ever collected baseball cards?
Not really... we are not very fond of baseball here in Brazil... hell I don't even like soccer and it's the national sport! ;)

I guess I do understand the collector's spirit, I also like to collect videogame stuff (older stuff, 3D is my brother's departament). But I know when the price is too high. I'd just spend the $300 on a few used consoles rather than ONE cartridge, even if sealed (wich does not really matter if you're going to open it anyway - and if you're not, why buy it?).

Heh, you know, taste is taste. I'm not saying anyone is wrong or anything, I was just trying to understand how could ONE simple game be so important to cost what it does, AND still have people desiring it.

See you later!
Movax

Post by Movax »

Movax

Post by Movax »

tokumaru wrote:
danimal wrote:Have you ever collected baseball cards?
I'd just spend the $300 on a few used consoles rather than ONE cartridge, even if sealed (wich does not really matter if you're going to open it anyway - and if you're not, why buy it?).
It's a piece of Nintendo history, and it's an investment - It'll likely be worth more to someone in the future. And, no I wouldn't open it - If I really wanted to play the cart, I'd find a bare cart on ebay.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Movax wrote:It's a piece of Nintendo history, and it's an investment - It'll likely be worth more to someone in the future. And, no I wouldn't open it - If I really wanted to play the cart, I'd find a bare cart on ebay.
Hum... I think that is just a bit sad. Hobbies are supposed to be fun... when you try to turn it into profit there is something wrong... I guess I can understand someone paying that much on a game if it was something he/she really wanted, and then he/she would enjoy it like hell, playing the game for weeks straight...

But that's just me... I learned to value all the little bits of fun I get from my hobbies, and I think it is just sad to spend so much on a ornament for your shelf (maybe not even that, as the sun might burn the colors off the box), instead of using the money on something that will really bring you some enjoyment.

Cheers.
Movax

Post by Movax »

Maybe you know how to appreciate the finer things in life.

It's not that I wouldn't enjoy owning the game. My previous post was pointing out the future value justifies the initial cost.

Unfourtunatly money is often the bottom line. Hobbies that are profitable are often much more fun and worth while. As much as I'd love to own a sealed tengen tetris, I would part with it if my financial situtuation dictated as much. For now my financial situation dictates that I won't have to make that decision!
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Movax wrote:Maybe you know how to appreciate the finer things in life.
I wish! I know only the theory! =)
For now my financial situation dictates that I won't have to make that decision!
Hehe What is the point of this conversation if none of us can buy the game anyway, right? ;)
pragma

Post by pragma »

tokumaru wrote:
Movax wrote:It's a piece of Nintendo history, and it's an investment - It'll likely be worth more to someone in the future. And, no I wouldn't open it - If I really wanted to play the cart, I'd find a bare cart on ebay.
Hum... I think that is just a bit sad. Hobbies are supposed to be fun... when you try to turn it into profit there is something wrong... I guess I can understand someone paying that much on a game if it was something he/she really wanted, and then he/she would enjoy it like hell, playing the game for weeks straight...

But that's just me... I learned to value all the little bits of fun I get from my hobbies, and I think it is just sad to spend so much on a ornament for your shelf (maybe not even that, as the sun might burn the colors off the box), instead of using the money on something that will really bring you some enjoyment.

Cheers.
($0.02)
While I'm not into "shelf ornaments" myself, I have learned to appreciate that some folks just enjoy having a piece of history or nostalgia for themselves - I still have my old C64 and NES for almost that reason, although I do run them from time to time.

While I wouldn't expect to see it in the Smithsonian any time soon, it has some historical significance (with respect to the game industry) far beyond any other cart that sells for $$$ just becuase of nostalgia or low production numbers.

Now I wouldn't pay money for this thing, but I can respect its place in things and just how rare it is.

You have to take into consideration that, by all rights, it's not even supposed to exist. The cart was recalled for *destruction* after Nintendo was done suing the pants off those guys. Consider it the nexus of issues with Tetris licensing/piracy, unlicensed development of a NES game, reverse engineering, and legal fraud: using 10NES code for the lockout chip obtained from the USPTO. You couldn't break more laws developing a game if you tried.

And its available on ebay in its original box - as though none of the above ever happened. I find it poetic and, yes, beautiful in that respect.
tepples

Post by tepples »

The major thing Tengen did wrong was to defraud the U.S. Copyright Office instead of actually dumping 10NES.

But now the 10NES binary is dumped. Since then, has any research has been done publicly into figuring out what instruction set it uses?
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

I agree with Tokum. Why pay so much for a signle game ? I'd pay pretty expensive only for a game I'll play and enjoy a lot, but never THAT expensive, and if it is just for collection purpose... that's just STUPID.
A classfriend of mine has 5 copies of selead Final Fantasy VII at his home and he taught me that his actual plans are to wait years and years to sell them back very very expensive (note that the game has a great reputation, so his plans have chances to become true).
But now the 10NES binary is dumped.
W... wh... WHAAAT ??? For REAL ?
If so do you know what is impies ? Anyone is then able to build a cartridge that will fit in a non-modified NES without problems !!
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.