Holy Crap!

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Movax

Post by Movax »

pragma wrote: I find it poetic and, yes, beautiful in that respect.
Great post. I share your sentiment.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Bregalad wrote:If so do you know what is impies ? Anyone is then able to build a cartridge that will fit in a non-modified NES without problems !!
Not so fast. The 10NES program is dumped, but the CPU is unknown.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Bregalad wrote:
But now the 10NES binary is dumped.
W... wh... WHAAAT ??? For REAL ?
If so do you know what is impies ? Anyone is then able to build a cartridge that will fit in a non-modified NES without problems !!
Not exactly just yet.. It's kinda like we got some hieroglyphs, but no rosetta stone. Can't translate it, and we don't even know if we're mistakenly trying to read the bits upside down, or diagonally or anything. :)

Plus we only have a read-out of the North America region chip.

It's been RE'd before.. Tegen supposedly got it (seperately from the copyright office ordeal). And SNES copiers include a clone chip (SNES CIC uses the same core). I'm sure it can be done again.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

tepples wrote: Not so fast. The 10NES program is dumped, but the CPU is unknown.
I think there weren't much CPU available back then.
There was the 4040, but it needed too much different power voltage to be with only +5V and 0V like the CIC is (at least +12 V, 0V and - 12 V were needed). So resonalby, it would be a 8080, Z80, 6502 or any variant of theese... I mean other CPU were probably too cheap back then.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Unless it was a 4040 on a newer process. It is known to be a "4-bit" CPU.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

I'm pretty sure it's not a 4004 or 4040. IIRC, the datasheet had a pic of the die and it looked nothing like the CIC die. Though I suppose it could've been a work-alike too (I doubt it).

The only promising lead I could find was in some old patents by Sharp for some 4-bit microcontrollers, had the instruction set right there in the patent doc. But my hand disassembly (of how I assumed the bits would've been aranged) came out looking like garbage.
lynxsolaris

Post by lynxsolaris »

Memblers wrote: So just the cart by itself is rare enough (selling for about $25-$40), but a sealed copy is just crazy. It's a lot better than Nintendo's version, I don't know what kind of dork would've kept the game sealed all that time. :)
I still have the original zelda factory sealed ... after all these years :D
Celius

Post by Celius »

That ones pretty rare too. I saw it for sale on ebay for like $100 factory sealed. I was surprised it wasn't more expensive. Oh my, imagine Chrono Trigger factory sealed! That'd be like, you can't use paypal to pay for that because it's so expensive! No, I'm just exaggerating. It would be REALLY pricy though. I just want the cartridge so I can play the game. What do I have that's rare.... Haha... Golf... Final Fantasy 3j... Final Fantasy 2j.... Cosmic Epsilon! That game is the shi-ite! I own Dragon Quest 3 and 4 as well. I haven't gotten around to playing them, beings as I'm not skilled with japanese...
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Okay, the fact to buy a game is that you most likely want the cartridge to play it. Having the box and the manual sure is nice, especially on rare games. But having them seled is damn useless since you have not any acess to the game itslef nor to the doccuments that comes together, so its just like if you bought nothing.

I had Fire Emblem - The sacred Stones sealed 2 hours ago but now it is unseald. The seal is in my waste bin. It is that annormal ? How could I play the game I bought and have it sealed huh ?
pragma

Post by pragma »

Bregalad wrote:Okay, the fact to buy a game is that you most likely want the cartridge to play it. Having the box and the manual sure is nice, especially on rare games. But having them seled is damn useless since you have not any acess to the game itslef nor to the doccuments that comes together, so its just like if you bought nothing.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I find this concept fascinating, so excuse me while I ramble a bit. :)

The key point of attraction to most collectors is rarity. The more obscure and hard to find an item is, the more valuable it becomes. In the case of a sealed game pak, shrink-wrap and all, you have to consider that they haven't mass-produced those things in years, and probably never will again. Its value has nothing to do with its usefulness as a game, although it would be worthless if the game inside doesn't work.

Kind of like wine collectors - recently a 120+year old bottle of wine sold for $100,000. How do you know it's not vinegar in there? Odds are, the collector will never know as to check would produce an insanely expensive antique bottle and some possibly spoiled wine.

Now from the standpoint that you wanted to play Fire Emblem, and don't have a copy, its value is strictly in the "does it work" category. The fact that its still in its box would have a nostagic value, or maybe a "never been used" kind of value to it, but that's all. The real deal is: can I play that game I've wanted to check out since I read about it in 1994?

This is like the guys who own Model-T cars and still drive them around town. Original parts only add to the utility and authenticity of their hobby - so things are value-less if they can't be used. :)
lynxsolaris

Post by lynxsolaris »

Bregalad wrote:Okay, the fact to buy a game is that you most likely want the cartridge to play it. Having the box and the manual sure is nice, especially on rare games. But having them seled is damn useless since you have not any acess to the game itslef nor to the doccuments that comes together, so its just like if you bought nothing.
Actually, I have two copies of LOZ. I was 5 when the game first came out. I got two copies of it for my birthday. Rather than returning the dup I kept it. So now, 21 years later, I still have it sealed.

But I'm a huge zelda fan ... so I took it a bit extreme and own just about two copies of every zelda game ... one sealed ... one that I played the hell out of.
:D Like pragma said, its all about what you like.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Yeah, for rarity purpose, a sealed old game sure is rare.
I perfectly understand (and I am even victim) of the pleasure to have a very rare game copy. And I feel good playing a game on the real hardware with a licenced cartridge that 99% of people just plays under emulation.
However, while it sure is rare, have a game sealed you can just have the pleasure to own it, but not to play it. And who could say the game inside work, without unsealing it ??

Also, collecting 120 years old wine is as much, if not much more crazy. Who could say the wine that is inisde is actually good ? Huh, I ask myself how it would taste after 120 years, but is it worth $100'000 ? Surely not.
lynxsolaris

Post by lynxsolaris »

Bregalad wrote: Also, collecting 120 years old wine is as much, if not much more crazy. Who could say the wine that is inisde is actually good ? Huh, I ask myself how it would taste after 120 years, but is it worth $100'000 ? Surely not.
Have to agree with you there. Gotta have some limits ... unless you just had 100,000 laying around.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

With a bit of thinking, if I had $100'000 laying arround, I'd try to give them to Intelligent Systems to bribe them to get all official developpement kits for NES, SNES, GB, GBC, etc....
Celius

Post by Celius »

Oh my god, If I had $100,000, I'd buy like every NES/SNES game boxed, with instruction booklet. Even Chrono Trigger, and the really rare ones. I'd be in such heaven.