QBRADQ!!! YOU ARE STILL ALIVE?? :)

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

unregistered

QBRADQ!!! YOU ARE STILL ALIVE?? :)

Post by unregistered » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:26 pm

.. ok..didnt post this in nesdev... cause ive never made a new topic there.
but qbradq? Is that really you?

infiniteneslives

Re: QBRADQ!!! YOU ARE STILL ALIVE?? :)

Post by infiniteneslives » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:20 pm

It would appear that way... Welcome back qbradq!

It must be that time of year because it would seem we've managed to reel blargg back in too :)
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers

qbradq

Post by qbradq » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks folks :D I didn't see this thread until now. I'm tickled that Blarg is back too! Woot :D

I left NES development after burning myself out trying to learn the hardware side of things, and getting burned on a bad chip programmer. After INL started working on the NESDEV1 I felt like the thing I had been championing was in good hands.

While I was gone I developed a roguelike for Android devices, but scrapped the project half-way through because gaming on a touch screen sucks. Then I played World of Warcraft for about a month until all challenge in the game was gone, then did the same for Diablo 3 :D

In the past three months I've wanted to come back to the scene but was embarrassed to. I started working on DOS programming, but it just wasn't the same. So I finally swallowed my pride and came back.

Thanks for the warm welcome :D

tepples

Touch typing

Post by tepples » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:05 am

qbradq wrote:gaming on a touch screen sucks.
Then why doesn't the DS suck?

But seriously, I bought a Turbo Touch 360 controller just to see what about touch screen gaming made it suck. It turned out that the real problem is ability to feel where your thumb is relative to the touchable area. The Control Pad of the Turbo Touch has raised edges. So until phones gain the ability to display Braille, ports of gamepad games to touch screen devices will continue to suck. On the other hand, there are the Xperia Play, the JXD S5100, and the forthcoming Archos GamePad, which are Android devices that include physical buttons for game control. There is also a free application to use a Wii Remote or a Classic Controller as a Bluetooth keyboard on an Android device with Bluetooth (i.e. anything recent that's not a Kindle Fire).

I wrote an article about how a flat touch screen affects various use cases. The gist is that gaming doesn't work for the same reason that touch typing doesn't work.

Movax12

Post by Movax12 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:19 am

The Xperia Play is fantastic for retro emulator gaming. Incidently, I'm also posting this from my Xperia Play.

qbradq

Post by qbradq » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:43 pm

The DS has proper controls and a touchscreen. That's a little different :D

Yea, I need to get one of those Xpera things :D

I specifically designed the game for the touch screen, spending three weeks on the touch interface. I just never could get it to where I could be fully engaged while playing it.

Thanks for the link! I'ma pick up a wiimote for my Android emus. I miss my PSP just because it was such an awesome platform for emulators :D

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:27 am

tepples wrote:... There is also a free application to use a Wii Remote or a Classic Controller as a Bluetooth keyboard on an Android device with Bluetooth (i.e. anything recent that's not a Kindle Fire).
qbradq wrote:Thanks for the link! I'ma pick up a wiimote for my Android emus. I miss my PSP just because it was such an awesome platform for emulators :D
LOL that's so funny... a wiimote... that's excellent! :lol: Hahaha! :) PSP was such an awesome platform for emulators? I don't understand... doesn't PSP mean PlayStation Portable? So other playstation emulators run on it? :?

Kasumi

Post by Kasumi » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:40 am

There are emulators for just about every common non disk based system on PSP. Even DS, but it's terribly slow. It's true it's made by Sony, and so there's only an official PlayStation emulator. But homebrew devs have made emulators for pretty much everything else.

PSP is not just a portable PlayStation. It's its own console and leagues more powerful.

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:11 am

Wow that's really cool! Thanks Kasumi :D
Kasumi wrote:PSP is not just a portable PlayStation. It's its own console and leagues more powerful.
:o

WedNESday

Post by WedNESday » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:14 am

Kasumi wrote:PSP is not just a portable PlayStation. It's its own console and leagues more powerful.
Its closer to the PS2 tbh.