SSD died after dropping laptop

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

blargg

Re: SSD died after dropping laptop

Post by blargg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:55 pm

Dwedit wrote:In a rather thick fit of irony, I was doing an NTFS resize on my hard disk drive (120GB) to get it ready to ghost to the 80GB SSD drive, and the filesystem was corrupted after the NTFS shrink, even though NTFSResize said it was successful. Linux wouldn't mount it, and neither would Windows.
I never trust any filesystem operation like that, even if it's claimed to be 100% safe. Same for defragmenters; stay away from my disk!

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:27 am

Dwedit wrote:In a rather thick fit of irony, I was doing an NTFS resize on my hard disk drive (120GB) to get it ready to ghost to the 80GB SSD drive, and the filesystem was corrupted after the NTFS shrink, even though NTFSResize said it was successful. Linux wouldn't mount it, and neither would Windows.
This happened to my fiancee's laptop shortly after she got it, in the exact same way. Two sets of system restore disks later (originally: 7 professional 64-bit. first: 7 pro 32-bit. second: 7 ultimate 64-bit) she finally got a functioning windows install again.
blargg wrote:Same for defragmenters; stay away from my disk!
I kinda like xfs_fsr for that reason.

mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:52 am

Dwedit wrote:My RMA replacement from Intel just arrived. I think they sent me a newer drive, it's a "320 series" instead of the X25-M, still 80GB.
In a rather thick fit of irony, I was doing an NTFS resize on my hard disk drive (120GB) to get it ready to ghost to the 80GB SSD drive, and the filesystem was corrupted after the NTFS shrink, even though NTFSResize said it was successful. Linux wouldn't mount it, and neither would Windows.
I restored the 80GB SSD from the exact same 6 month old backup, and this time Windows booted on the first try. It downloaded about 38 Windows Updates soon afterwards.
Norton Ghost does a very good job of re-sizing during a clone operation of NTFS images without pre-re-sizing the image before-hand, in my experience, if that could help in the future.

krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:25 am

If u have hard disk HDD0 of size X, buy another two hardisks HDD1 and HDD2 of size >=X and:
1) Do incremental backups of your HDD0 to HDD1. For windows I found good utillity called Cobian Backup.
It copies all the files and clears archive atribute to them. Next time you run it (in week, month or so), it will copy only the ones with archive atribute set (each time you create/modify file, windows sets archive bit on it)
This backup is good if you accidently noticed that a file you want to access does not exists or if you removed a file and want to quickly recover it.

2) Do a full-sector copy of HDD0 to HDD2 from time to time (rarely). This backup will help you when HDD0 suddenly died and you want to quickly have a fully working system.

Quietust

Post by Quietust » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:43 am

krzysiobal wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:25 am
If u have hard disk HDD0 of size X, buy another two hardisks HDD1 and HDD2 of size >=X and:
1) Do incremental backups of your HDD0 to HDD1. For windows I found good utillity called Cobian Backup.
It copies all the files and clears archive atribute to them. Next time you run it (in week, month or so), it will copy only the ones with archive atribute set (each time you create/modify file, windows sets archive bit on it)
This backup is good if you accidently noticed that a file you want to access does not exists or if you removed a file and want to quickly recover it.

2) Do a full-sector copy of HDD0 to HDD2 from time to time (rarely). This backup will help you when HDD0 suddenly died and you want to quickly have a fully working system.
This thread was from 8 years ago, and it was resurrected by a spambot. There's nothing more to discuss at this point, and I'm guessing a moderator will probably lock this thread shortly (or just delete both of our posts).
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.

tepples

Post by tepples » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:45 am

If you have more to say about this topic, PM an active moderator.