It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:01 am 

Update 2014-09-13: v03 released. Added syntax highlighting in the wiki. As is the case with the forum, the code can't differentiate between code and other text, so it highlights everything.

--

This is a GreaseMonkey user script that enables syntax highlighting on this forum. It also modifies the forum titles so that the post title always comes first (making tabbed browsing easier).

In Firefox, you need the Greasemonkey add-on to use this. In Google Chrome, it should work out of the box, but only if you switch to the dev channel!

* To install in Chrome, download the file, open the extensions view (chrome://extensions/), and drag & drop the file in there.
* To install in Firefox, download Greasemonkey, choose Manage User Scripts, and drag & drop the script into the list.

Here's the old "after" result, the color scheme has changed a bit since then:
Attachment:
after.png
after.png [ 13.22 KiB | Viewed 3832 times ]

Latest version (v03), with wiki syntax highlighting:
Attachment:
nesdev-enhancer.user.js [88.49 KiB]
Downloaded 111 times

Old version (v02) without wiki syntax highlighting:
Attachment:
nesdev-enhancer.user.js [87.99 KiB]
Downloaded 132 times

Last edited by thefox on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:32 am 

It seemed I needed to go to Tools -> Extensions and then check "Developer mode" before chrome would allow me to install this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:59 am 

Movax12 wrote:
It seemed I needed to go to Tools -> Extensions and then check "Developer mode" before chrome would allow me to install this.

Did you try drag & dropping it on to the Extensions window (it should display "Drop to install" while this is being done)?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:15 pm 

I uninstalled and tried it again and your instruction worked. Not sure what problem I had, which is why I qualified my post with 'seemed'.

Pretty good. How do I change the colors and or font?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:23 pm 

Which assemblers is it compatible with? Does it work with MagicKit?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:45 pm 

Neat, and pretty! That gets me wondering if phpBB has support for that sort of thing server-side, i.e. could make a [6502] tag for code and let it do the rest itself. I'd have to read the god-awful innards I bet...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:42 pm 

Any chance of a userscript/greasemonkey version?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:39 pm 

koitsu wrote:
Neat, and pretty! That gets me wondering if phpBB has support for that sort of thing server-side, i.e. could make a [6502] tag for code and let it do the rest itself. I'd have to read the god-awful innards I bet...

Now that's an interesting idea!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:21 am 

Movax12 wrote:
I uninstalled and tried it again and your instruction worked. Not sure what problem I had, which is why I qualified my post with 'seemed'.

Pretty good. How do I change the colors and or font?

You'd have to edit the script (CRX is just a ZIP file, you'd have to extract that and then modify the files).

zzo38 wrote:
Which assemblers is it compatible with? Does it work with MagicKit?

Should work well enough with all the common dialects.

koitsu wrote:

I suggested that in this post some time ago. Personally I wouldn't mind a client-side solution, because it should be easier to add than a server-side one. Basically it would be just a matter of including a couple of JavaScript files, some CSS files, and adding a BBCode tag to generate a <pre> tag with a special class name.

Dwedit wrote:

Nope, not from me, sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:13 pm 

thefox wrote:
koitsu wrote:

I suggested that in this post some time ago. Personally I wouldn't mind a client-side solution, because it should be easier to add than a server-side one. Basically it would be just a matter of including a couple of JavaScript files, some CSS files, and adding a BBCode tag to generate a <pre> tag with a special class name.

I'm fine with either client-side or server-side. The problems with client-side is that more often than not these things end up chewing/wasting CPU time in such a way where interactivity is hindered in some way; i.e. "I just got back a bunch of HTML, and now I need to parse a bunch of HTML and turn it into some other HTML, so while I do this you won't be able to click on anything or adjust pulldowns". Throw JavaScript into the mix and now it's even scarier. Varies per browser of course, but you get my point. The server-side solution involves figuring out the phpBB bits and if it even supports doing that, but has the added advantage that the results look the same for everyone (including search engines/crawlers) and there's no "if you want it to look like this you gotta install this software/extension/script" nonsense.

thefox wrote:
Dwedit wrote:

Reason I'm quoting two things in one: because "a couple of JavaScript files, some CSS, etc." is exactly what GreaseMonkey scripts would do (although for sanity you really need to keep everything in one single script). I have some familiarity with GreaseMonkey scripts since I maintain a public one.

I don't use Chrome thus the .crx stuff does me zero good. (I like Chrome mind you, I forced myself to use it for a week, but there were UI bits/pieces that I could not stand and I hate tabbed browsing like you wouldn't believe)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:44 am 

koitsu wrote:
The server-side solution involves figuring out the phpBB bits and if it even supports doing that, but has the added advantage that the results look the same for everyone (including search engines/crawlers) and there's no "if you want it to look like this you gotta install this software/extension/script" nonsense.

Yes, I'd definitely prefer a server-side solution too, if there is one that works.

koitsu wrote:
thefox wrote:
Dwedit wrote:

Reason I'm quoting two things in one: because "a couple of JavaScript files, some CSS, etc." is exactly what GreaseMonkey scripts would do (although for sanity you really need to keep everything in one single script). I have some familiarity with GreaseMonkey scripts since I maintain a public one.

Yeah I know about GreaseMonkey, Chrome actually has native support for at least some subset of its functionality, and I have written one such script in the past. But in this case I needed to use multiple source files so this way was easier. And I wanted to learn a little bit in the process too.

Anybody is free to take and modify the source to work with Greasemonkey though, it's all in the CRX and it's pretty short (except for the actual SyntaxHighlighter engine).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:04 pm 

Here's another tiny script that fixes something that has been bothering me when using this forum: the fact that in thread titles there's garbage like "nesdev.com • View topic - " before the actual thread title (making tabbed browsing harder than it has to be). This one should work with Greasemonkey as well.

http://thefox.aspekt.fi/nesdev-enhancer.user.js
(This is outdated, use the latest version from the first post)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:54 am 

I've made a new version of this. Download is in the first post or here.

It's now an user script, so it will work in Firefox too. Tested on Google Chrome and Firefox. I've also integrated the topic hackery from the old nesdev-enhancer.user.js script into this new version.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:04 pm 

You might consider maintaining this "semi-officially" using userscripts.org, by the way. It would make getting updates a lot easier (Greasemonkey will notice there's a new version when you push one out, etc.). To give you an idea, here's the script I used to maintain (their site seems down/broken right now though): http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/154089

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:56 pm 

koitsu wrote:
You might consider maintaining this "semi-officially" using userscripts.org, by the way. It would make getting updates a lot easier (Greasemonkey will notice there's a new version when you push one out, etc.). To give you an idea, here's the script I used to maintain (their site seems down/broken right now though): http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/154089

Yeah I'll do that at least if there's a next version.