NSFPlay 2.3

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: NSFPlay 2.3

Post by rainwarrior »

Is that a bug report about NSFPlay's Winamp plugin, or about cpow's FTM plugin?
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

rainwarrior wrote:Is that a bug report about NSFPlay's Winamp plugin, or about cpow's FTM plugin?
I don't have Win10 but in Win7 when I mouse over the taskbar icon I can use the prev/next buttons in the preview OK with the FTM Winamp Plugin. Strangely my media keys do not work.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

It's about NSFPlay, not the FTM thing.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

Dwedit wrote:It's about NSFPlay, not the FTM thing.
You say that like it's bad. :D
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Anyhow, I can duplicate this. I've been wanting to adjust the winamp plugin to break the NSF out into a playlist instead of doing that weird all-in-one-track thing, but it's been low priority for a while. I'm sure I can fix the problem whenever I work on that area of things. Thanks for the report.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

rainwarrior wrote:Anyhow, ...
Yeah. Sorry about that slight hijack. :beer:
seasprite

Post by seasprite »

Poppin' back in. Noticed today that NSFs crash Winamp on startup if encountered in the saved playlist from last session. It seems that is addressed in the updated plugin's readme:
- Fixed intermittent crash with Winamp starting up with NSF in playlist.
So yay. I see 2.4 betas mentioned here and elsewhere but can't find a compiled download. Are there builds anywhere, perhaps automated?
rainwarrior wrote:I've been wanting to adjust the winamp plugin to break the NSF out into a playlist instead of doing that weird all-in-one-track thing, but it's been low priority for a while.
Ah, great. That'd be much-improved functionality. I hope it will also be possible to specify / play specific NSFE tracks in playlists / via command line.

Thanks for your continued development efforts!
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

No automated build, and it's not in open beta, but if you've got a bug or something you'd like to test feel free to contact me.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

I have a really dumb question...
I'm using the Winamp plugin, how do I make it louder? I know you can make anything louder by using the EQ settings, but nes music is too quiet relative to other songs.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Dwedit wrote:I have a really dumb question...
I'm using the Winamp plugin, how do I make it louder? I know you can make anything louder by using the EQ settings, but nes music is too quiet relative to other songs.
There are several places for volume, depending on what you want:

1. Windows' mixer volume (duh)
2. If Vista or newer: the per-application mixer volume (duh)
3. Main Winamp volume slider (duh)

And in the NSFplug (Winamp plugin) window:

4. View -> Device Mixer (alternately you can use Options -> Easy Setup to control the master volume)
5. View -> Channel Mixer

To get to the aforementioned window, just double-click on the song title/track name (or press Alt+3) (this is a Winamp thing)

Settings are saved to an .ini file in your_Winamp_installation_directory\Plugins\in_yansf.ini
FaTony

Post by FaTony »

Do you have plans to keep Winamp plugin after you go cross-platform? Because it would be hard to make improvements of I can't compile the whole thing.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

I noticed a lot of DC in the waveform, and that interferes with volume controls. The lowpass settings do nothing to get rid of the DC. The DC goes way up when using DMC and expansion sound (Gimmick!), it even clips sometimes without increasing any volume controls.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

FaTony wrote:Do you have plans to keep Winamp plugin after you go cross-platform? Because it would be hard to make improvements of I can't compile the whole thing.
Yes, but the Winamp plugin will be separated from the rest of the code, merely using it as a library. It should not be in conflict with an code that it cross platform. (Individual plugins for Winamp, Foobar, etc. will all be separate and only for their target platforms.)
Dwedit wrote:I noticed a lot of DC in the waveform, and that interferes with volume controls. The lowpass settings do nothing to get rid of the DC. The DC goes way up when using DMC and expansion sound (Gimmick!), it even clips sometimes without increasing any volume controls.
I've not seen that happen before, could you PM me with a copy of your settings (inyansf.ini) and link to an NSF that can demonstrate?

If you disable the lowpass highpass filter (i.e. set it to "0") there should be an evident DC bias, but it shouldn't beoing "way up" or have anything to do with expansion sound... possibly you've triggered a bug I haven't seen in the experimental "anti-click" option?
Last edited by rainwarrior on Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander »

rainwarrior wrote:If you disable the lowpass filter (i.e. set it to "0") there should be an evident DC bias, but it shouldn't beoing "way up" or have anything to do with expansion sound... possibly you've triggered a bug I haven't seen in the experimental "anti-click" option?
Er, what? Do you mean "highpass" filter? Because a lowpass filter would always let a DC bias pass through it, and a highpass would block it, whatever the corner frequency.
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Yes, I meant highpass, though hopefully Dwedit also meant highpass. ??