It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:23 am 

I got famitone2 (v1.0) working after some struggling... In the process I found a bug in nesasmc which causes asm6 version of famitone2 to be broken in v1.0 (famitone2_asm6.asm)! Reason is that "HIGH" function is incorrectly converted to "<" on line 131 in nesasmc.cpp. As a fix, change "<" to ">" and reconvert famitone2.asm. (I'm not using asm6 though. I have my own assembler.)

In addition to this, I encountered cryptic error message "Pattern not found" when converting a song with text2data. Reason is, text2data assumes no gaps in patterns, i.e. if max pattern number is 1E, all patterns in range 00..1E must exist. Otherwise you get the error. I got this error because I used FamiTracker "clear unused patterns". As a workaround, I exported song as text and modified the file so that there were be no gaps in patterns (i.e. modified lines starting w/ "ORDER" and "PATTERN"). Then I imported the fixed one back to FamiTracker.

After this I got a problem with wrong instruments played by famitone2 during runtime. Reason was that text2data skipped exporting unused instruments to conserve space, and while doing so, it didn't adjust exported patterns accordingly (i.e. if instrument 1 is unused, song instruments 2,3,4 will incorrectly play instruments 3,4,5 during runtime). As a workaround, I just used the unused instruments somewhere in the song -- pretty stupid, but works :) To find unused instruments in FamiTracker, I used "clear unused instruments". Then I replaced the cleared instruments with dummy ones.

Anyways, good work Shiru! It needs bit polishing, but is really good. Have you considered using Python (or similar) instead of C for the tools? Text file parsing would be at least 10x easier with Python than C...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:40 am 

tsone wrote:
Have you considered using Python (or similar) instead of C for the tools? Text file parsing would be at least 10x easier with Python than C...

But that would make Python a dependency. Under Windows, a user has to explicitly download 15 megs of interpreter and ask the computer's administrator (head of household, school/library IT, etc.) to install it. It's not like GNU/Linux where most distributions install Python from the disc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:10 pm 
Formerly 43110

So today I was getting a infinite loop crash from FamiToneUpdate, so I traced it down to the branch always in env_read_value (line 545)

During the loop FT_TEMP_PTR was pointing to a unused part of the rom. I'm not sure how to diagnose why that happened, but as a result Y ended up being $FF before the increment and fell through to env_special which looped to env_read_value with Y still being set to $FF. I changed the branch to a jmp and the infinite loop was fixed. I then also changed the branch always in set_speed (line 890) to a jmp just in case.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:00 pm 

Might I recommend making note of the existence of famitone2 in the original famitone's thread first post? The first place google led me was the thread of the old version and only realized there was a second version by chance when perusing unread posts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:40 pm 

43110 wrote:
So today I was getting a infinite loop crash from FamiToneUpdate, so I traced it down to the branch always in env_read_value (line 545)

During the loop FT_TEMP_PTR was pointing to a unused part of the rom. ...

I got exact same symptoms. First of all, don't use broken ASM6 conversion of famitone2 (v1.0 release). It corrupts the high byte of FT_TEMP_PTR, causing unexpected behavior such as INF loops. If you're not using ASM6 source, then issue is likely caused by text2data. Did you verify all instruments are used in the song (in FamiTracker)?

Why? text2data does not handle correctly songs with unused instruments. If there are unused instruments, invalid pattern data may be generated by text2data, causing famitone2 to play non-existent instruments, which in turn will lead to unexpected behavior such as INF looping. Please check my previous post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:50 pm 

I just found out that empty patterns (without notes, effects etc.) are not exported to text by FamiTracker (v0.4.2). This means text2data can give "Pattern not found" error for a valid reason (since pattern truly doesn't exist in the text).

As a workaround, one can add a do-nothing note or effect in the empty pattern (so that the pattern will be exported). Then text2data will find the pattern without error.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:20 pm 
Formerly 43110

tsone wrote:
First of all, don't use broken ASM6 conversion of famitone2 (v1.0 release). It corrupts the high byte of FT_TEMP_PTR

tsone wrote:
In the process I found a bug in nesasmc which causes asm6 version of famitone2 to be broken in v1.0 (famitone2_asm6.asm)! Reason is that "HIGH" function is incorrectly converted to "<" on line 131 in nesasmc.cpp.

:oops: That was it. Fortunately there's only one place the HIGH function is used, and it's for the envelope pointer.
Code:
--- famitone2_asm6.asm   2014-02-09 23:43:08.000000000 -0500
+++ famitone2_asm6_fix.asm   2014-02-25 23:06:06.020665072 -0500
@@ -305,7 +305,7 @@

lda #< (_FT2DummyEnvelope)
    sta FT_ENV_ADR_L,x
-   lda #<(_FT2DummyEnvelope)
+   lda #>(_FT2DummyEnvelope)
    sta FT_ENV_ADR_H,x
    lda #0
    sta FT_ENV_REPEAT,x

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:16 am 

I'm having a problem with Famitone2. During the game (that I'm working on), the triangle channel in my song is silent. I've even tried putting the song in the demo supplied with Famitone2, and it still makes no difference, but the other song in the demo still plays fine and so does that sound effect that uses the triangle channel. Also, the pitch envelopes in the song aren't working, but like I said the pitch envelopes in the other demo song work.

I also tried including one of the demo songs into my game to see if it would work fine there, and it does. That leads me to believe that it has to be a problem with the music data (for my song), but I don't know what it is.