It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Trolling Famicompo
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:31 pm 

The most lyrics I can think of in an NES game is the title of Skate or Die 2.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:29 pm 

Imagine if 20 different people all decided to cover the same some fad-song everyone hates. That'd be a pretty good trolling, intentional or not. :P

Another troll entry would be similar to what you'd find on massive video game MIDI cover sites; the occasional midi that is completely off rhythm, out of key or out of tune, wrong notes, entire sections of the song skipped or screwed up, etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:39 pm 

Drag wrote:
Imagine if 20 different people all decided to cover the same some fad-song everyone hates. That'd be a pretty good trolling, intentional or not. :P

Like U.N. Owen was Her? I must admit, this was the quickest instance I have ever gone from loving a music track to detesting it so abhorrently.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:49 am 

Or worse, if everyone were to enter Robo's theme from Chrono Trigger. You just got Rickrolled.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:29 am 

@Jedi: At least no-one tried to cover the HORRIBLE scene with that rapping dog from the Titanic animated film!

The korean version and the english version of the rapping dog as seen here.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:23 am 

Hamtaro126 wrote:
@Jedi: At least no-one tried to cover the HORRIBLE scene with that rapping dog from the Titanic animated film!

The korean version and the english version of the rapping dog as seen here.

challenge accepted

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:53 am 

Make sure it's a 2A03+FDS+MMC5+N-163+VRC6+VRC7+5B fustercluck. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:42 pm 

Hi, came back after months to notice tepples' and my conversation was forked into another thread, and I guess the split killed the reply notifications. I'll start by agreeing with:
rainwarrior wrote:
Tepples, the appellation of troll entry is not an objective evaluation. It's an accusation of the author's ill intent and/or a subjective judgement that it lacks worth. It's no good to arbitrate rules for it, as trolls tend to thrive on the abuse of these kinds of rules.

Though I'd temper my opinion a bit and say "trolling" includes both malicious (lazy, intentionally boring, ear splitting) and playful (things meant to generate a laugh but not an earnest attempt at competing).
tepples wrote:
I converted "Max 300" (a DDR song) to an NES ROM back in 2004 as a proof of concept

The standard was quite a bit lower in 2004 due to the novelty of the idea and due to the more rudimentary nature of the tools. Circa 2001 I remember being impressed with Xodnizel's (FCEU author) conversion of the TMNT theme as a .NES ROM. Of course back then samples needed to be hand packed and arranged in ROM, I'm pretty sure. However, I wouldn't be impressed in the same way had it been entered into a music contest, even in 2001.
tepples wrote:
If someone programmed an algorithmic composer that could make a passable 3-minute piece of music using only the 2A03 channels and entered a 255-song NSF using each track number as a seed into the composer's PRNG, would that be trolling too?

Avant garde entries should be welcomed. The difference is that doing such work requires significant effort, which would obviate the trolling aspect. The worst that could happen is that the author would be accused of not fully fleshing out his implementation or submitting the results of a failed experiment as something musically relevant. Even then, "musical relevance" is subjective.
tepples wrote:
if someone were to chop up a tune into short pieces and sequence them like a 1-channel MOD, would that be trolling too?

Same as above, effort required. However, unless getting high fidelity at a low filesize is obtainable, it's not likely to impress.
tepples wrote:
Doggtales is just "this video contains" as an NSF. But then "this video contains" is a YouTube Poop meme, and YouTube Poop originated in trolling.

"This video contains" uses Gourmet Race from Kirby Super Star.
tepples wrote:
I'm just trying to figure out how to avoid being officially accused of ill intent if I were to enter something experimental. A lot of times on Slashdot, I point out a corner case that some people haven't thought of, and I get accused of trolling.

Slashdot was a troll (and anti-troll) haven before the times of 4-chan and Reddit, so genuine and feigned overreation was rampant there, especially during its prime. It's the Internet and all, but if you're actually thinking about how to avoid being labeled a troll you probably don't need to think too much about it. I don't perceive oversensitivity and false troll accusations to be an issue in the NES music community, but I also don't socially engage on a regular basis.
tepples wrote:
And even in the Dadaist anti-art that is YouTube Poop, there's often brilliant stuff that emerges from techniques that originated in trolling the audience.

Agree. An example is RushJet1's Hopper Dopper Popper, which originated from a YouTube Poop.
tepples wrote:
Or worse, if everyone were to enter Robo's theme from Chrono Trigger. You just got Rickrolled.

Maybe you've just roboricktrolled me, but are you aware this exists?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:36 pm 

Posting experimental things ought to be permitted; a lot of people make experimental music.

I was thinking of algorithmic compose too. Well, if you write it yourself, then presumably it can be used. However, I believe Famicompo requires to specify the duration (although perhaps you can type in "4 years" if that is in fact the duration!! it would be hard to judge though). What you could do is figure out which song you like best, and then add a instruction to XOR the song number by that one, and then change the number in the header to specify only one song, and add a comment specifying that you can get more. And then, that single one is the one being judged.

There is also the exhibition section, where you can post files regardless of duration, number of tracks, etc and including MML and FTM source files. I don't know if ASM is a valid file type in exhibition section, although allowing it would help if you are posting algorithmic compositions.

If people want to post terrible music, well, maybe some people like it and then they can give a high rating if they do; some people hate it and can post a low rating and perhaps comment to say if you really hate it. I know there are some files in Famicompo which I find to be really terrible music, but I am not complaining. I certainly do not recommend posting such things, but I do not intend to stop them from doing so, either.

However, one thing that might help is that there could be a rule that says you are not allowed to enable any expansion chips which you will not use, with the exception of MMC5 (which provides a small amount of ExRAM and a fast multiplication register) and FDS (which provides extra RAM). However, then you should disallow their use if neither the extra audio channels nor these other features are used, and I believe most music engines don't use these features anyways.

Regardless of what the rules are, well, consider that there exists IOCCC, which has a "best abuse of rules" category.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:03 pm 

Thanks Whelkman.

zzo38 wrote:
However, one thing that might help is that there could be a rule that says you are not allowed to enable any expansion chips which you will not use, with the exception of MMC5 (which provides a small amount of ExRAM and a fast multiplication register) and FDS (which provides extra RAM).

The NSF environment already provides 10K of RAM at $0000-$07FF and $6000-$7FFF. And an 8x8 bit multiplication without MMC5 and without huge LUTs still clocks in under 160 cycles. Do music engines do a lot of multiplications?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:24 am 

tepples wrote:
The NSF environment already provides 10K of RAM at $0000-$07FF and $6000-$7FFF. And an 8x8 bit multiplication without MMC5 and without huge LUTs still clocks in under 160 cycles. Do music engines do a lot of multiplications?
As I have said above, I do not expect it. But maybe some kinds of software synthesis might find the use of MMC5 and more than 10K RAM to be useful, or algorithmic compositions might, or something; I don't really quite know. I don't expect these things to be particularly useful in music much, but maybe it does have a use in some cases; just because you don't know of any doesn't mean none are possible.