More NSF Requests

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Very cool. As for the other tracks, I can't remember how I init'ed them since it was so long ago (6 years, holy crap), but here's the rip:
http://www.zophar.net/nsf/sk8die2.zip
kingshriek

Post by kingshriek »

Alright. I combined them together. I think the PCM frequency in the title theme is slightly lower than what it should be, but I can't make it go any higher without spilling into the next play routine. Probably a result of the PCM routine being tied to the play routine in the NSF. In the game, they are completely seperate - the number of times $4011 is updated between play routines varies slightly, although it's almost constant. I wish I knew how to fix this. Anyway, here's the combined NSF.

Skate or Die 2 NSF

EDIT: I was able to tweak the frequency values a little bit more. It turns out I had an extra cycle in the PCM routine. I replaced a NOPx2 with a STA $xx (where xx is a random unused zero page address) in the PCM routine to fix this. It's still not perfect, but it's better than it was before. I updated the file above to reflect these changes.

EDIT 2: Wow, I can't count. It turns out I had 11 extra cycles in the PCM routine. I rewrote it to get rid of these extra cycles, which allowed me to tweak the $4011 write loop values a bit higher, making the NSF even closer to what it should be. I'm not sure if it can be improved from here. It should be nearly cycle accurate with the game's PCM routine now. I updated the file above to reflect these changes.
Gil-Galad

Contra Force

Post by Gil-Galad »

Norrin_Radd wrote:As for requests. I've noticed that there isn't a "Contra Force" NSF as of yet. This saddens me because the music in the game is trademark Konami gold..
I ripped Contra Force last month and noticed later that some DPCM is missing, due to lazyness I haven't fixed it yet. I have some other Konmai rips as well for you to download. http://gilgalad.panicus.org/
Gil-Galad

Post by Gil-Galad »

Norrin_Radd wrote:Another Triumph my friend!

I love the Egyptian sound of this one a lot. I'm a total sucker for Egyptian instrumental music. Infact I bought the Mummy Soundtrack earlier today, how odd.

Any others on the go kingshriek?
Then you might like the NSF rip for the game Egypt on my site. http://gilgalad.panicus.org/
Gil-Galad

Re: More NSF Requests

Post by Gil-Galad »

Wai Wai World 2 has been ripped by Ben Parnell. Also you could add to the rip request list by looking at the thread on the old message forum.
Gil-Galad

Post by Gil-Galad »

I have Marvel's X-Men and Paperboy ripped for ya. Also Super Cars from another request.

http://www.geocities.com/gil_galad75200 ... l_xmen.zip

http://www.geocities.com/gil_galad75200 ... perboy.zip

http://www.geocities.com/gil_galad75200 ... r_cars.zip

Both Tetris have been ripped. If you say there is a problem with them then I will try to rerip them.
Norrin_Radd

Post by Norrin_Radd »

@Gil_Gilad: Right on Gil! More rare NSFs *drools*
As for Egypt, I've been frequenting your NSF site since you first posted that Rollergames NSF month ago :) Egypt is one of my favorites.
As for Contra Force, Kingshriek fixed the DPCM problem, and I think he, very recently, also made a rip for Super Cars as well.

I love this boom in NSF ripping lately. You guys are my heroes, for real.

:D
ArnoldRimmer83

Post by ArnoldRimmer83 »

Say Gil_Gilad is there an nsf player that will correctly play that rip of Hal's "New Ghostbusters 2"? I've tried it in Nezamp, Not so Fatso, and even in FCE Ultra but in all of them the tracks get stuck on one note.
Gil-Galad

Post by Gil-Galad »

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:Say Gil_Gilad is there an nsf player that will correctly play that rip of Hal's "New Ghostbusters 2"? I've tried it in Nezamp, Not so Fatso, and even in FCE Ultra but in all of them the tracks get stuck on one note.
I think New Ghostbusters 2 is one of my older rips. I'm going to check it out and see what the problem is. I can't run NotSoFatSo on my machine so you might be out of luck if the rip still doesn't work after I fix it.
blargg

Post by blargg »

I just checked New Ghostbusters 2 from Zophar and Gil's NSF page and they are identical except the bytes at offset $2542 in the NSF files, where it's $00 in Gil's version and $60 on Zophar's version. The modification date is also later on Zophar's version. Maybe this is one of the batch Disch fixed a while back. Anyway, the version from Zophar works.
Gil-Galad

Post by Gil-Galad »

blargg wrote:I just checked New Ghostbusters 2 from Zophar and Gil's NSF page and they are identical except the bytes at offset $2542 in the NSF files, where it's $00 in Gil's version and $60 on Zophar's version. The modification date is also later on Zophar's version. Maybe this is one of the batch Disch fixed a while back. Anyway, the version from Zophar works.
I think the reason why the NSF didn't work right in other players because it was timing out. 60 is RTS, unless the data was changed somewhere. Good now I don't have to fix it I guess.
Gil-Galad

Post by Gil-Galad »

I got a bunch of rip requests from the other message forum and here they are, I might try some of these myself.

3-D World Runner (Kingshriek)
AD&D Dragons of Flame
AD&D Hillsfar
Afterburner
Appletown FDS
Back to the Future
Bandai Golf: Challenge Pebble Beach
Bard's Tale
Bard's Tale 2
Battlechess
Battletoads (missing raw PCM)
Bill & Ted's Excellent Video Game Adventure
Bill Elliot's Nascar Challenge
Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle
Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout
Castle Of Dragon
Chessmaster, The
Dai 2 Ji Super Robot Taisen (Kingshriek)
Defender Of The Crown
Ganbare Goemon Gaiden 2
Ghostbusters
Ghost Lion
Gilligan's Island
Godzilla
Ide Yousuke Meijin no Jissen Mahjong 2
Lunar Ball
Metal Slader Glory
Metalstorm (Kingshriek)
Nobunaga's Ambition
Rocket Ranger
SD Gundam Gaiden - Knight Gundam Monogatari
SD Gundam Gaiden - Knight Gundam Monogatari 2
SD Gundam Gaiden - Knight Gundam Monogatari 3
Skulls & Crossbones
Shingen The Ruler
Space Shuttle
Superman
Tag Team Wrestling
WrestleMania Steal Cage Challenge
Trog
Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
Wrath Of The Black Mantra
Last edited by Gil-Galad on Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kingshriek

Post by kingshriek »

Out of those listed, Ai Senshi Nicol, Esper Dream, Metal Storm, RBI Baseball, and Robowarrior (Bomber King) have already been ripped.

Also, I've just ripped 3-D World Runner (FDS and NES variants) and its sequel.

EDIT: Moved rips 3-D World Runner rips to a thread below. They now include the ending theme.
Last edited by kingshriek on Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArnoldRimmer83

Post by ArnoldRimmer83 »

The Zophar download does work fine. Thanks for the help.

By the way Kingshriek, thanks for the Worldrunner rips. I apologize if I come across as sounding really anal here as that's not my intention, but I thought you'd like to know that the ending theme is missing from those rips.

Interesting little tidbit on that series. I beat World Runner and its sequel some time ago. The ending theme in both is exactly the same. Hell the whole ending is exactly the same as World Runner's ending, with the dialog being in English and being the same exact words. The only thing changed, is the graphics of the characters. The FDS ending to the original on the other hand is in Japanese and has completely different dialog.
kingshriek

Post by kingshriek »

No problem. I always appreciate corrections/suggestions for any of my rips. The ending theme for the three games uses a completely different play address than the rest of the tracks - hence why I missed it in the initial rips. It was weird to see this in a cartridge game, although it's pretty common for FDS titles - with side A and side B having different play/init addresses. Then again, 3-D World Runner is a from-FDS conversion and its sequel is essentially a hack of it, so I guess it's not so weird in this case.

Thanks again for notifying me of the missing tracks. The updated rips are below:

3-D Battles of World Runner NSF
JJ - Tobidase Daisakusen Part 2 NSF
Tobidase Daisakusen NSF