Famitracker not exporting NSf correctly

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

8-Bit Psycho

Famitracker not exporting NSf correctly

Post by 8-Bit Psycho »

Hello all!

I'm stuck with an issue with DN Famitracker 0.5.0.2

So, long story short I do a music thing where I blend Psychobilly and Chiptune, I use GameBoys on stage with LSDJ while singing and playing Double Bass. I'm wanting to use Famitracker to export NSF files to play off the NES live on stage, however the issue I'm having is play back speed being slower than it should be and it being an octave lower.

When I'm exporting songs I'm clicking the 'PAL' box but I'm still getting the wrong playback speed on my console.

Anyone have any solutions?

I'm using a PAL NES and Krikz N8 Pro flash cart for play back.
TakuikaNinja

Re: Famitracker not exporting NSf correctly

Post by TakuikaNinja »

Did you set the engine speed to PAL? It's different from the one in the export dialog.
8-Bit Psycho

Post by 8-Bit Psycho »

TakuikaNinja wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:31 pm Did you set the engine speed to PAL? It's different from the one in the export dialog.
I didn't know this was an option! I've just found it, I'll have a try of that tonight, thank you very much!
8-Bit Psycho

Post by 8-Bit Psycho »

So that fixed my speed issue, but the track is off pitch wise. Is there a setting I can change for that aswell? Or do I need to write it, and then transpose it all before I export?
TakuikaNinja

Post by TakuikaNinja »

Make sure the engine speed and NSF region are matching, or choose "dual region".
Otherwise, there may be something going on with your console setup. Is it specifically a PAL console? You may need to hit reset 7 times to cycle between CIC regions on the Everdrive (it could be the case that it's assuming the wrong region).
If not, I've heard people say the Everdrive's NSF player is not very good...
TakuikaNinja

Post by TakuikaNinja »

It might be best to test the NSF file with a traditionally compliant player such as NSFPlay.