It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:09 am 

If I have a duty cycle pattern loop in an instrument that I use in a sound effect, will it loop only once?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:04 pm 

It finds the max length of all envelope types for your instrument and terminates the sound effect after that many frames (the length of your envelope sequence corresponds to rendered frames) have elapsed. Typically the volume envelope is the longest, so if your duty cycle is a fairly standard one that is used for a crisp sounding attack or what not and you have a longer volume envelope, the duty cycle will loop as expected.

Perhaps I should use the pattern length in rows instead to determine the length of sound effects---that way you can control it more precisely. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:58 pm 

Pattern lengths are how I expect sfx to work so yes

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:19 am 

Hello!

I made something that I thought might be useful to others.

It's pretty simple, just a slight modification to the GGsound demo. It's in ASM6 format but I can make a CA65 one if it someone requests it.

The purpose of this is to help a composer, without programming knowledge, to demo their songs on an NES console or emulator. I wanted it so that a composer could export their FTM song, convert to ASM, rename the output files to "track_data.inc" and "track_dpcm.inc" and drop them into the demo file, build, and listen. I wanted to make sure that the track list would stop at the beginning and end no matter how many songs were included, I also wanted the same for SFX, and for a sound designer to be able to select the various sound effects.

All of the changes that I made are included in one file, demo.asm. This file can be dropped into the "ggsound_asm6" folder to apply these changes to the demo. Opcodes that I added are capitalized. There is an additional variable declaration for current_sfx, and an initialization of that variable. There are constants called SONG_INDEX_END and SFX_INDEX_END which are calculated at assembly. A song will no longer restart when you hit the end of the track list, which is just personal preference and it was a little easier to set up that way.

I hope this helps somebody!

Attachments:
demo.asm [8.06 KiB]
Downloaded 34 times

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:54 am 

OP updated with distro with two new bug fixes in the converter. Sfx lengths were not being calculated correctly for more complex sfx, and pattern indices were not being treated properly in some cases. Thanks to Peter McQuillan for these bug reports!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:01 am 

GGSound now has its own Github repository.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6