Dam

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Pokun

Re: Dam

Post by Pokun »

I also use foobar on my laptop. It's pretty good but I prefer Winamp a bit more, one reason is that foobar doesn't seem to be able to use the system midi device among other things. Another reason is because I have more Winamp plugins that I use.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I didn't expect it to take this "dam" long for SiIvaGunner to catch up with the B part of this one.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Flying Battery Zone Act 2 (Beta Mix) (2017-08-27)
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

That's actually pretty "dam" good. Did you both spot it independantly, or is there a conspiracy at work here?
tepples

Post by tepples »

"Flying Battery Romance" was already a meme by the time I wrote "Byelomorye Dam Zone". But most of the mash-ups I heard on YouTube at the time were of the popular recordings: the one from S&K with Lady Gaga's vocals. I tried to be original by covering them from the ground up on a console sound chip, choosing the 2A03 PSG because I know it best. It's most likely that a SiIvaGunner contributor independently arrived at the concept of mashing those two songs. The one difference to fit SG's formula is that it uses the same synth family (Yamaha OPN) with the same patches and accompaniment style as the soundtrack from an actual game, while I tried to squeeze everything into a hypothetical NES demake of GoldenEye.

After a round of critique on the FamiTracker users' Discord server, combined with more percussion experience gained during the Famicompo Pico 3 process, I greatly improved the percussion of "Byelomorye Dam Zone" and uploaded the result to forums.famitracker.com.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

I like the new percussion. You're really stretching the noise channel for all it's worth. Kick still feels a bit rough, but there's not much you can do about that with no triangle.

I liked your FCP3 entries too, by the way. Didn't realize the Billy Joel one was you because of all the DPCM, but the moment I heard the opening beat to Alstroemeria's overplayed Bad Apple!! cover I knew exactly who was responsible.