It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:43 pm 

Over the course of the last dozen or so commits, I've been tackling what is currently the oldest remaining issue: its being exclusive to ca65 (#9). In the process, I wrote a Python script that translates from ca65 to ASM6. I had to deal with not only macro system limits but also what appear to be outright bugs in how it handles forward references. Today I reached a milestone of being able to play all ten songs. But I still have a lot to learn about standard practices in the ASM6 community, such as how programmers expect libraries to allocate RAM and whether makefiles or shell scripts/batch files are more common.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:44 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

You can trust most asm6 users to be more at home in windows (and only have win installed for that matter); especally since NESmaker. So batch files would be the better option.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:38 pm 

I've made a lot of progress on ASM6 support. It appears to be working now. Is anyone interested in trying an integration with a game?

In other news, I've added a button to change sensitivity and support for detecting a mouse that doesn't support sensitivity selection to the sound effects editor.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:04 am 

I'm having trouble figuring out whether there's even demand for this. Nobody has made me aware of any game that has used Pently other than my own, NovaSquirrel's, and adrian09_01's port of Mega Mountain. Because I underestimated how important quirk-for-quirk fidelity of in-game playback to FamiTracker's preview playback was to composers, it turned out to be inadequate even for three games produced by others who have commissioned me to be the game's lead programmer. All three of them started on Pently but switched to a FamiTone2 descendant during development.

Despite Joe's enthusiasm, I'm even having trouble pitching it as a replacement for GGSound for uses of NESmaker, as my PC doesn't primarily run Windows, and the official solution to NESmaker's incompatibility with Wine and Mono is still to purchase a VMable Windows license for $119.99. But I'll take this to another topic.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:50 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Imagine you are new to nesdev, and you just wrote a game, now how do I add music?

First you have to find someone to compose original music because the royalties for licensing an existing song for use of a cover version in a game would likely exceed what a hobbyist can afford.

Alternatively, one can select music which was published before January 1, 1925, which is what many classic-era video game designers did. J.S. Bach's two-part inventions are a nice easy direct fit for the NES sound hardware, as would be e.g. the C major and C minor preludes from the Well Tempered Clavier. Many other works by baroque and classical composers, and many songs by Stephen Collins Foster, Henry Clay Work, and George M. Cohan, could also be good choices with some simple adaptation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7