Replacement for Ixy effect

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

NOOPr

Replacement for Ixy effect

Post by NOOPr »

First of all, I'm a totally noob about music composing.
I'm using Famitracker to make sound effects and Famitone2 to play those, since famitone doesn't accept the Ixy - Hardware sweep down effect I ask: there's any other way to replace this effect so famitone can play it?
Thanks in advance
rainwarrior

Re: Replacement for Ixy effect

Post by rainwarrior »

You can use a pitch macro in your instrument to do a pitch sweep, though it's not quite equivalent to the hardware sweep. Pitch macros will adjust the pitch linearly, so if you use it on a high note it has more effect than if you use it on a low note.

For a single given pitch, though, you could match the effect of a hardware sweep with a pitch macro. Keep in mind that the rate of the change in pitch needs to increase as it goes lower (or decrease as it goes higher) to maintain a similar logarithmic shape.

Or if you just want a thing to sweep up or down quickly in pitch, a simple repeating pitch macro like "| 10" might be do the trick.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

famitone has a pitch change limit of + - 64. Which is only a few notes away from the base note...

* and looping it doesn't work.

However, my forks can do 1xx or 2xx which can go the full range.

* edit.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

dougeff wrote:However, my forks can do 1xx or 2xx which can go the full range.
Does it do other effects? This doesn't seem to be documented at the moment:
https://github.com/nesdoug/famitone4.1/ ... readme.txt

(The source suggests it can do 1xx, 2xx, and 4xx?)
Last edited by rainwarrior on Fri May 24, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Those. And 5.0 added Qxx and Rxx and 3xx... And duty cycle envelopes... and sfx > 256 bytes.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Ah, I see. I missed the note that "readme.txt" is not the actual readme and I should have looked at "Usage.txt"...

On another note, I didn't realize there was a Famitone 5 at this point either.

The last thread I found here when I was searching for it was about Famitone 4. Om your github profile 4.1 is still pinned. On your website I can't find any mention of Famitone 5 at all. The wiki links to a thread about Famitone 3.3.

So, just point out that it seems a bit hard to discover what the latest version of Famitone is. Like I had tried searching for it today and that's where I'd ended up.

Maybe I would suggest creating a single repository, and use tags/branches to provide the older versions, instead of having a separate repository for each? Updating the readme that github displays when you go to the project would help a lot too.
NOOPr

Post by NOOPr »

rainwarrior wrote: So, just point out that it seems a bit hard to discover what the latest version of Famitone is. ...

Maybe I would suggest creating a single repository, and use tags/branches to provide the older versions, instead of having a separate repository for each? Updating the readme that github displays when you go to the project would help a lot too.
I had the same experience of @rainwarrior and totally agree with him. Since it's a fork of famitone2 you could just create a repo for it named famitone2 and create tags versioning as famitone2.x.y , this way you would had the tags/releases: famitone2.3.3, famitone2.4.1 and famitone2.5.0 . But this is just my opinion :wink:
dougeff wrote:famitone has a pitch change limit of + - 64. Which is only a few notes away from the base note...

* and looping it doesn't work.

However, my forks can do 1xx or 2xx which can go the full range.

* edit.
Can those effects help me to replace the Ixy?
NOOPr

Post by NOOPr »

rainwarrior wrote:You can use a pitch macro in your instrument to do a pitch sweep, though it's not quite equivalent to the hardware sweep. Pitch macros will adjust the pitch linearly, so if you use it on a high note it has more effect than if you use it on a low note.

For a single given pitch, though, you could match the effect of a hardware sweep with a pitch macro. Keep in mind that the rate of the change in pitch needs to increase as it goes lower (or decrease as it goes higher) to maintain a similar logarithmic shape.

Or if you just want a thing to sweep up or down quickly in pitch, a simple repeating pitch macro like "| 10" might be do the trick.
Thanks for the quick reply. I spent some time trying to change the Hi-pitch effect into the instrument, but I have no acknowledge what I'm doing and it's not working as exptected...
I'm attaching the effect so you can figure out what I'm trying to do...any tips will be apreciated.
Attachments
laser.ftm
(844 Bytes) Downloaded 459 times
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Hi-pitch envelopes aren't supported by Famitone, only regular pitch, AFAIK.

However, in that file you just linked the hi-pitch envelope is not even enabled. Also the envelope you've created goes out of range too quickly to make a sound anyway.

As far as using the spupported effects to replace it: just replace Ixx with a 2xx, or Hxx with a 1xx. The velocity of the slide is different (linear vs log), but you can play with the value to see if you can find a linear sweep that sounds well enough.
NOOPr

Post by NOOPr »

rainwarrior wrote: As far as using the spupported effects to replace it: just replace Ixx with a 2xx, or Hxx with a 1xx. The velocity of the slide is different (linear vs log), but you can play with the value to see if you can find a linear sweep that sounds well enough.
Thank you! The resulting effect is very near the original with Ixx.
You and dougeff are my hero :mrgreen:
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Even with famitones’ pitch bend limit, you don’t need effects. do a pitch bend down/up to another tone, start a new tone with another. The trick is timing so that you reach the new tone just in time for the new note. calculate necessary pitch change vs frames per step.