Ys - Credits.nsf - The NSF that is missed in the history

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

vilxdryad

Ys - Credits.nsf - The NSF that is missed in the history

Post by vilxdryad »

Hi NESdevs, as a great fan of the Ys series and the gorgeous music Yuzo Koshiro made for it, there is no way i could have bypass that no actual ripped NSF have the Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished - Omen game's Credit theme on it.

This made me go straight forward to learn how to rip NSF and do it by myself, i simply could not believe how such amazing track has seemingly been bypassed by every NSF ripper BUT then, i tried to rip it by myself and curiously, got every track except the Credit theme, just as everyone else; I know there are more methods to extract NSFs in these cases, the thing is that actually i am having a hard time learning how to apply those methods.

This is the theme that this topic has been made for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnD_aneg2Oo&t=6m39s

and this is one of the vast variety of NSFs that does not have the theme i am looking for: http://nsf.joshw.info/y/Ys%20(1988-08-2 ... Victor).7z

has been 2 years where i have been looking hard, deeply, and without rest for every rip of this game NSF with the hope of finding this theme; i am most likely never going to start a topic asking something that i can actually find out by myself; I made this topic because the internet lacks of this track's NSF, and therefore; the history itself is lacking of this track. This is why i am asking for help; if anyone could point me where to learn how to rip it, or help the internet in having this nsf is extremely appreciated.
rainwarrior

Re: Ys - Credits.nsf - The NSF that is missed in the history

Post by rainwarrior »

Gil Galad wrote an NSF ripping guide a long time ago: http://gilgalad.arc-nova.org/intro.html

This is the only such guide I know of.

There's a bunch of skills to acquire in the course of learning to rip NSFs (6502 programming, NES debugging, romhacking, controlling the NES APU). I don't think NSF ripping is a beginner level task, but if you're motivated enough you might manage. If you learn to write NES programs first, and get familiar with the system (especially the APU), you might find it easier to go from there to NSF ripping.
vilxdryad

Post by vilxdryad »

As far as i am reading the Gilgalad's NSF ripping tutorial, it seems to be really complete, nice pointer you gave there; it actually encourages me a lot the fact that learning the NES's 6502 Assembly allows me to rip NSF, this series definitely deserves more love.

I may post any update of what i get on this topic, thanks rainwarrior
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

vilxdryad: check the NSF header and look at the PLAY routine address. disassemble from that address. when it appears that it's a vector/LUT of values (and not valid 6502 code), it's often a line of data values that is fed to the memory location to indicate song number. if you can see the memory address that's being affected to indicate song value in the NSF (through debugging), often the same address is used in the ROM. you can use a savestate to be at the location of the song to verify what song value it is. if the song data bank is not available within the NSF you may need to copy the ROM contents of that bank (due to bank switching) and append the data into the nsf; also making potential, load, init, and play routine changes.

hopefully the data is already in the nsf :)
vilxdryad

Post by vilxdryad »

B00daW; that is impressively opportune to know; i am currently learning where these addresses are in the documentation rainwarrior gave to me earlier, having a good read right now; even if i get all the concept of what you said i am heading to read all the documentation first to parse it better, thank you a lot! i may edit this post if i get different results
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Look at the NSF ripping thread, as of Karmic finally ripped the damn thing. : P
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Looking again deeper, the sequence data for the ending song was located around $6800, where normally NSF doesn't read without:
-either you bankswitch the area
-directly recode the sequence data to some free space
I took that code and recoded directly to $C800, and tweaked the init route a bit from Karmic's rip.
Attachments
Ys (SFX) (NES - Dendy - PAL 50Hz).nsf
(19.57 KiB) Downloaded 305 times