It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:53 am 

I was pretty surprised I couldn't find this on YouTube, especially considering how good of a tune it is, so I decided to make it myself. It could be better, but that's beyond me. This already took way more time than I thought it would, even if it was pretty fun to do. The frame thing on the left is terribly unoptimized, (way too many distinct frames for how repetitive the song is) but I don't care. :lol:

Here's the .ogg file and the .ftm file. I want to see if anyone has any taste in video games. :lol:

Attachment:
Song.ogg [989.47 KiB]
Downloaded 93 times
Attachment:
Song.ftm [12.69 KiB]
Downloaded 85 times

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:56 pm 
Site Admin

I knew that song right away, not sure if I want to spoil it in the first reply already. Drum samples would go well with it, sounds good already though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:23 am 

Memblers wrote:
I knew that song right away

Faith restored. :lol:

Memblers wrote:
Drum samples would go well with it, sounds good already though.

I knew I was forgetting something! (it wasn't nearly bombastic enough, all though I don't think it will ever be possible to get to that level.) I'll work on that. I was going crazy listening to the thing over and over again for small details. How anyone can replicate a more complicated song with the VRC6 or something like that is beyond me.

I wasn't way to eager about using the triangle channel on the beginning and last parts, (high pitch noises on the triangle channel sound like crap to me, it's better for more background like stuff but there's not enough polyphony. Also, it's annoying there's no volume control on it for some reason, because it's too loud here) but oh well. It would be stupid to use something like the VRC6 when you already have the perfect number of channels.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:03 am 

Yeah, I got drums now:

Attachment:
Song.ogg [950.29 KiB]
Downloaded 63 times
Attachment:
Song.ftm [15.31 KiB]
Downloaded 70 times

Even with headphones on, I still couldn't hear exactly what the drums were doing in the middle, so I just assumed they are on a continuous pattern. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:10 pm 

With the instrument selection, it sounds like it's being played on Action 52's sound engine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:14 pm 

What's worse: Action 52 instruments or Hummer Team instruments?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:58 pm 

Hummer Team is 1000x worse. The high pitched triangle wave they use at the forefront of all of their songs is really ear grating. The main problem with Action 52's music (at least going off of Cheetahmen) is the lack of polyphony. Of course, I could be bias, especially considering my creation apparently sounds like it's from Action 52. :lol:

The graphics, on the other hand... :lol:

For any who were wondering, the song is the stage 1 theme of Raiden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH2Rk7csm8g I will admit, I really have no clue how to replicate the sounds very well. I tried messing with the pitch thing, but it seems useless.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:45 am 

I knew that song from somewhere but I couldn't find which game. I didn't play much Raiden so this is why it didn't figure it out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:21 am 

All I know about Raiden is that he says "flying marmalade" when doing his side special ("Torpedo" Back, Back, Forward), and he's one of the few characters in that game with a forward dodge ("Teleport" Down, Up).

A different fandom sees Raiden as "that guy who isn't Solid Snake".

And they fight.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:58 pm 

Banshaku wrote:
I didn't play much Raiden so this is why it didn't figure it out.

Most of the arcade games I've played were through MAME. (Hydro Thunder is the main exception; I love that game.) I played Raiden DX before I ever even heard of Raiden, and I actually found it at a restaurant called "Lago Mar Pizza" at Virginia Beach. It had to have been a good while ago, because I remember being surprised that it didn't work in MAME. (It was probably the last "major" game to be added.)

Kind of random, but I found that if I ever change the "Duty" of an instrument in a loop, it will periodically make an obnoxious clicking noise. Is that because of my speakers, or does it actually sound like that?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:58 pm 

Raiden! :o
I spent too much time on that game on the PC Engine, I liked your nsf.