My first (and prodobly last) song (guess what it is)

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

My first (and prodobly last) song (guess what it is)

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I was pretty surprised I couldn't find this on YouTube, especially considering how good of a tune it is, so I decided to make it myself. It could be better, but that's beyond me. This already took way more time than I thought it would, even if it was pretty fun to do. The frame thing on the left is terribly unoptimized, (way too many distinct frames for how repetitive the song is) but I don't care. :lol:

Here's the .ogg file and the .ftm file. I want to see if anyone has any taste in video games. :lol:
Song.ogg
(989.47 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
Song.ftm
(12.69 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
Memblers
Site Admin

Re: My first (and prodobly last) song (guess what it is)

Post by Memblers »

I knew that song right away, not sure if I want to spoil it in the first reply already. Drum samples would go well with it, sounds good already though.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Memblers wrote:I knew that song right away
Faith restored. :lol:
Memblers wrote:Drum samples would go well with it, sounds good already though.
I knew I was forgetting something! (it wasn't nearly bombastic enough, all though I don't think it will ever be possible to get to that level.) I'll work on that. I was going crazy listening to the thing over and over again for small details. How anyone can replicate a more complicated song with the VRC6 or something like that is beyond me.

I wasn't way to eager about using the triangle channel on the beginning and last parts, (high pitch noises on the triangle channel sound like crap to me, it's better for more background like stuff but there's not enough polyphony. Also, it's annoying there's no volume control on it for some reason, because it's too loud here) but oh well. It would be stupid to use something like the VRC6 when you already have the perfect number of channels.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Yeah, I got drums now:
Song.ogg
(950.29 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
Song.ftm
(15.31 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Even with headphones on, I still couldn't hear exactly what the drums were doing in the middle, so I just assumed they are on a continuous pattern. :lol:
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

With the instrument selection, it sounds like it's being played on Action 52's sound engine.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tepples

Post by tepples »

What's worse: Action 52 instruments or Hummer Team instruments?
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Hummer Team is 1000x worse. The high pitched triangle wave they use at the forefront of all of their songs is really ear grating. The main problem with Action 52's music (at least going off of Cheetahmen) is the lack of polyphony. Of course, I could be bias, especially considering my creation apparently sounds like it's from Action 52. :lol:

The graphics, on the other hand... :lol:

For any who were wondering, the song is the stage 1 theme of Raiden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH2Rk7csm8g I will admit, I really have no clue how to replicate the sounds very well. I tried messing with the pitch thing, but it seems useless.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I knew that song from somewhere but I couldn't find which game. I didn't play much Raiden so this is why it didn't figure it out.
tepples

Post by tepples »

All I know about Raiden is that he says "flying marmalade" when doing his side special ("Torpedo" Back, Back, Forward), and he's one of the few characters in that game with a forward dodge ("Teleport" Down, Up).

A different fandom sees Raiden as "that guy who isn't Solid Snake".

And they fight.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Banshaku wrote: I didn't play much Raiden so this is why it didn't figure it out.
Most of the arcade games I've played were through MAME. (Hydro Thunder is the main exception; I love that game.) I played Raiden DX before I ever even heard of Raiden, and I actually found it at a restaurant called "Lago Mar Pizza" at Virginia Beach. It had to have been a good while ago, because I remember being surprised that it didn't work in MAME. (It was probably the last "major" game to be added.)

Kind of random, but I found that if I ever change the "Duty" of an instrument in a loop, it will periodically make an obnoxious clicking noise. Is that because of my speakers, or does it actually sound like that?
Punch

Post by Punch »

Raiden! :o
I spent too much time on that game on the PC Engine, I liked your nsf.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.