NSF Rip Archive

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Gil-Galad

NSF Rip Archive

Post by Gil-Galad »

This is my attempt at converging all NSFs known to me and ones that I could find and ones that I have ripped. The idea is to have a archive that only has NSFs extracted from ROMs. Almost always, from commercial games, licensed or unlicensed.

A good deal of the NSFs in this master archive are from Knurek. He done a good job on archiving. Based on what he had told me; that he didn't have time to update them. So, his archive on the website is about a year and a half out of date.

But now, I need some help tracking down NSFs that could be missing from the archive and listing those that need to be fixed. That would be a great help in getting this archive complete.

Also, Shiru told me that he could make a tool for NSFs. And now I am thinking about how it would be done. I assume it would be similar to the GoodNES tools with a few differences. However, I would like to listen to any ideas.

As said earlier; I followed the naming convention of Knurek's archive and also I have listed fixes with the code (Fx) x being which number the fix is. For example (F1).

My idea is to have a tool to generate a list with checksums and also to state how many are missing and which ones are not on the list after being scanned.

Here is the archive to look though here. You can browse through the directories or download the 7-Zip with all of them.

http://gilgalad.arc-nova.org/NSF-Archive/

There are many places to look for NSFs.

http://www.zophar.net/
http://www.arc-nova.org/
http://akumunsf.good-evil.net/
http://www.snesmusic.org/hoot/kingshriek/
http://www.angelfire.com/nc/ugetab/ - Including a lot of references and fixes that might need to be in this archive.
http://nsf.joshw.info/
http://patpend.net/ftp/music/ - nsfcoll.zip

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by Gil-Galad on Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

I'd just like to say that this is very appreciated and I'm very impressed about all your hard work, Gil.

You're a real scene player.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Isn't "100-in-1" redundant with Booby Kids?
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

I knew I should have done my idea sooner. I've had NSFREPO.COM since late 2009 for the purpose of what Gil Galad is doing, more or less. My idea was to keep it segregated from the Parodius line of hosting stuff but put a small amount of Google ads on it, solely to see if I could generate enough self-sufficient revenue to, in effect, "get Parodius to pay for itself". Guess I'll have to find a new idea.

My idea was to have a full-blow NSF archive site, with full details of every NSF (extracted from them directly), MD5/SHA-1/SHA-256 checksums of each, support people to upload their own NSFs, comments and a rating system, and basically a publicly-editable (well, not 100% anonymous; e.g. only specific users given access to it) database of all those NSF details. The goal was to turn it into a "NES music repo" in a sense, listing of all the song composers, etc. etc... And also to include/provide improperly-ripped NSFs or buggy ones, since there's lots of those around (certain songs missing notes or freaking out due to someone ripping it wrong). Folks could use a Windows (or whatever; write it in C and make it work on all OSes) tool to query the NSF archive site to find out details about the .nsf file they had (using checksums). "Oh, the NSF I have is the buggy one, screw this!" You get the idea.

Gil, if you're interested in the domain, I'd be more than happy to hand it to you (no charge) rather than watch it expire and go into the hands of a domain squatter.

BTW, I'm not sure if you got these or not, but don't forget about Kevtris's NSF collection too! Search the web for nsfcoll.zip. :-)
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

Double Dragon 4 is redundant with Target - Renegade.

100-in-1 is indeed redundant with Booby Kids.

Bensheng 4 in 1 - Table Tennis does not work.

Death Race (1990)(American Game Cartridges) and Death Race (AGCI) are redundant.

DoraeBomb is redundant with BomberMan and does not work properly on most NSF players. Works on VirtuaNSF, too fast on Nintendulator, broken on NEZPlug, and broken on Nestopia.

Final Fight 3 is redundant with Mighty Final Fight.

Harry Wrestle is redundant with Panic Restaurant.

Um Chi only seems to work in Nestopia and FCEUX. Not Nintendulator or VirtuaNSF, NEZPlug++, etc...

Here's what I got so far.
Gil-Galad

Post by Gil-Galad »

koitsu wrote:Gil, if you're interested in the domain, I'd be more than happy to hand it to you (no charge) rather than watch it expire and go into the hands of a domain squatter.

BTW, I'm not sure if you got these or not, but don't forget about Kevtris's NSF collection too! Search the web for nsfcoll.zip. :-)
I just added a link to the nsfcoll.zip on another site. I do also have that archive on my PC somewhere.

Yes, I would be interested in the webspace. Except that I believe I don't have the skill to build such a site with a database, user editable site and one that could communicate with a application to determine what NSF file you have.

Thanks B00daW for the update and I may remove some of those soon.

Also, I'd like to know if you guys think I should remove the company/publisher names out of the file names, with the exception of games that have the same name?
jwdonal

Post by jwdonal »

Gil-Galad wrote:Also, I'd like to know if you guys think I should remove the company/publisher names out of the file names, with the exception of games that have the same name?
I'm not big into the NSF world (yet) so I'm not sure how much my opinion matters, but I find the company/publisher information of games (and music) to be interesting and neat historical info. Would be a shame to lose pre-existing information...why remove it?
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

I think it'd be great for people studying NES music to go to a artist they like and then look through their work. Keep it in, they deserve credit. :) Lots of sound files, lots and lots....thanks for this Gil and many others! Fun to listen to! :D
KGN-004

Post by KGN-004 »

3gengames wrote:I think it'd be great for people studying NES music to go to a artist they like and then look through their work. Keep it in, they deserve credit. :) Lots of sound files, lots and lots....thanks for this Gil and many others! Fun to listen to! :D
The publishing/developing company does NOT equal the artist. And I hate that some people treat it that way. Mega Man music is not done by Capcom. Castlevania music is not done by Konami. These are soulless entities.

Anyway, I think you should keep the publisher and developer company in the file names. It is indeed useful information.

And I love you are doing this. I hope for a single complete definitive archive of NSF and a neat Goodtools-like program for it.
Last edited by KGN-004 on Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

I didn't say the company is equal to the musicians. I meant the composers name as the information retained. I don't care about the company, as there's not point to search by company.
KGN-004

Post by KGN-004 »

3gengames wrote:I didn't say the company is equal to the musicians. I meant the composers name as the information retained. I don't care about the company, as there's not point to search by company.
Well it sounded like you were saying "keep it in, they deserve it" in response to Gil's question as to whether he should keep the publishing/developer company names, and equating them to the artist. That's how I read it, anyway. :P

I think searching by company would also be useful.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

"Artist" is really a combination of the musicians and sound programmers. If either one is bad, the whole thing sucks. You can have great compositions get executed poorly, or have an awesome sound engine with bad tunes. Sometimes the musician and sound programmer is the same person.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tepples

Post by tepples »

3gengames wrote:there's not point to search by company.
With Konami reportedly starting to use YouTube Content ID to put ads into playthrough videos of its games, searching by the copyright owner might become more important.
Gil-Galad

Post by Gil-Galad »

B00daW wrote:Double Dragon 4 is redundant with Target - Renegade.

100-in-1 is indeed redundant with Booby Kids.

Bensheng 4 in 1 - Table Tennis does not work.

Death Race (1990)(American Game Cartridges) and Death Race (AGCI) are redundant.

DoraeBomb is redundant with BomberMan and does not work properly on most NSF players. Works on VirtuaNSF, too fast on Nintendulator, broken on NEZPlug, and broken on Nestopia.

Final Fight 3 is redundant with Mighty Final Fight.

Harry Wrestle is redundant with Panic Restaurant.

Um Chi only seems to work in Nestopia and FCEUX. Not Nintendulator or VirtuaNSF, NEZPlug++, etc...

Here's what I got so far.
I just removed all the redundant NSFs as well as fixing Um Chi and Bensheng 4-in-1 Table Tennis. Both of them had the wrong load address and that was caused by NSF Tool (optimizer version). I haven't uploaded them yet though. Also, I renamed the numbered set to 0-9 because my client and/host doesn't like files named and starting with the character #. That missing folder will also be uploaded later. I also added Star Tropics 2 that was missing.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Gil-Galad wrote:
koitsu wrote:Gil, if you're interested in the domain, I'd be more than happy to hand it to you (no charge) rather than watch it expire and go into the hands of a domain squatter.

I just added a link to the nsfcoll.zip on another site. I do also have that archive on my PC somewhere.

Yes, I would be interested in the webspace. Except that I believe I don't have the skill to build such a site with a database, user editable site and one that could communicate with a application to determine what NSF file you have.
I should be clear here: I'm not offering web hosting/space. I'm offering the domain name for your use (your own hosting provider could configure their webservers and/or DNS servers to handle it, for example), e.g. I could transfer it to you (to a registrar you prefer), or point the associated DNS servers to your own provider. "Webspace" != domain name; two separate things.