OneBus games with dual APU music

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

NewRisingSun

OneBus games with dual APU music

Post by NewRisingSun »

A surprisingly small number of OneBus games make use of that system's second APU. Most of them are WXN releases of Nice Code Software games with a single short song per game. Since the VGM format is so far the only chiptune music format to support two NES APUs (NSF only partially if you count the MMC5's two additional square wave channels), and since VGM ripping is less time-consuming than NSF ripping, I am using that format for what little there is of two-APU game music for now.
Attachments
OneBusTwoAPU.7z
(16.92 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
B00daW

Re: OneBus games with dual APU music

Post by B00daW »

tepples, with your mad music skills, help decipher all of those pop music melodies in this archive!
tepples

Post by tepples »

(clones and compiles VGMPlay)

Among the 14 tracks, I couldn't find any that sounded familiar to me. "Danger Zone", in particular, has nothing to do with Kenny Loggins. But one thing I did notice was the simplistic sound design. The expansion audio is just wasted.
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

My senses tingle with a bunch of them; especially that multicart one.
TJthewizard2002

Post by TJthewizard2002 »

Helli-Mission uses music from Lemmings (Tim 2).
Magical Kitchen sounds similar to "Hot Hot Hot" by Buster Poindexter.
100-in-1 uses music from one of the educational computer games on the NES, i'll have to check which one is it. It's probably based on a public domain song.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

As for the sound design, what bothers me most is the severe waveform clash in most of these songs.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

Here are two more that I previously forgot. I am sure you have wondered what it would sound like if Hummer Team ever got to use a second sound chip... ;)
Attachments
MoreOneBus.7z
(9.5 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

All I have to say is that one of my cheapo chinese portable one bus systems has plenty of games which actually show more colors and stuff and all the music is DREADFUL.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

It'd be nice to hear what someone who actually could actually write music would do with the extra triangle and noise channels relative to (2A03+MMC5). Oh well.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Dunno about noise, but you can simulate the extra triangle channel with one Namco 163 channel with the constant 32-step triangle waveform.

If anyone here is a BotBr, perhaps this can be solved with an nsfplus format one-hour battle, with the bitpack including "2A03 + MMC5 + one N163 triangle" plus some theme.