It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:56 am 

For an old tune originally written for guitar, it sure sounds at home on the NES!

Not sure if it's how it's meant to be, or if it's just a consequence of polyphony reduction and not having heard the original to fill in the gaps, but some spots leave me a bit lost, if that makes any sense. It's nothing serious though - if I was busy trying to jump over spikes while dodging medusa heads when I first heard it, I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all.

As for theme: it makes me think of a cave in the middle of a Castlevania game. Has an echoey quality that makes me think of confined spaces, but it's too disorderly to be manmade. Too ominous and intriguing to be very early in the game, but not 'evil' enough to be near the end.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:29 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

Thanks for the feedback!

The rhythm section (drums and a lot of the bass) was written on top the old arrangement. There's a few instances of polyphony reduction and some new colours due to the bass, but it might just be that

-my 15-something year old self (not too unlike my 30:s self) had too little experience and just went by feel when trying to mash together "secret agent"-styled blues/rock cadences with bach-style classical music.

-the baroque composers, on the other hand, were well trained in music theory and never strayed too far beyond the convensions of their time, even though harmonic tensions were resolved in a more direct and somewhat heavy-handed manner. So whatever they did was kind of easy to follow, even if there's space for types of discomfort that we're unfamiliar with in modern pop.

-since the tune is so familiar to me, i probably have an easier time anticipating every turn which makes me a little deaf to movements and jumps that are too sudden, and then then i went a bit overboard with the rearranging, supported by a presupposition noone is hearing.

I think the root cause for disorientation is a shift between bars 7 and 8 where i think i botched it.

Feel free to compare to this simplification - i think it'll sound nicer if i just stick to a chord progression following this melody.
Attachment:
File comment: edit: added a few guiding chords
FG_simplification.ftm [3.46 KiB]
Downloaded 4 times

Re: the theme. That's interesting! I just couldn't make up my mind when listening to the arrangement if it'd be a 1st stage type of song or a close to the end type of song, but never thought it to be a middle of campaign type of song.

Edit: Updated the link with a new version of the song. Some minor changes plus some quite noticeable ones in bar 7 and 8. Not quite the same as the ftm file as that chord progression became to high strung in this key.

https://frankengraphics.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/frankengraphics_tr27.mp3
Still a WIP of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:47 pm 

Bear in mind that I know absolutely nothing about musical composition. I can't even read music - I can play the piano by ear, and that's about it. I think about music a bit like how I think about speech, with languages, phrases, words and so on. When I say a song makes me feel "lost", I mean it's abruptly changing ths subject, or saying things that don't "mean" anything.

I actually get that more in pop songs than anywhere else, because they really don't have anything to say - they're just a rhythm, a melody and some overpriced filters, repeated ad nauseam. I like NES music and other chiptunes because they're more complex, creative and unfamiliar than the "mainstream" slop, even if I don't have the vocabulary to explain why.

All of which is a polite way of saying I have no idea what you're talking about, but I think the results sound awesome. :D I really should take some courses/read up on the subject so I can contribute more.