Musical symbols for effects in tracker

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Musical symbols for effects in tracker

Post by tepples »

I was considering making a tracker for my music engine some time in the future, and I might represent effects with musical symbols instead of letters. Any suggestion for better symbols?

If you've never seen open noteheads attached to sixteenth or thirty-second notes before, the symbols for fast and slow arpeggio are inspired by tremolo notation as described in a recent discussion about slow arps.
Attachments
effectsymbols.png
effectsymbols.png (5.76 KiB) Viewed 4912 times
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Re: Musical symbols for effects in tracker

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Looks pretty good and easy to read to me. The volume symbols - while they make sense to someone who can read scores - aren’t selfexplanatory though. Maybe piecharts could work? ”Full moon” would be 100% and ”empty circle” would be 0%

What’s the method of input?
Bavi_H

Re: Musical symbols for effects in tracker

Post by Bavi_H »

Some alternative ideas:

1. The slash in the grace note has a different meaning than the slashes in the "off" commands, which might be confusing. In the "off" commands, maybe use a slash along with a gray color? (Inspired by European "end of speed zone" signs.)
gray-off.png
gray-off.png (1.23 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
2. You skipped p and f. Some people might wonder where they are. Maybe just using a single volume symbol (like a triangular ramp shape) along with a number would be easier to understand, and allow more than 4 levels.

3. The note stems imply a specific note duration. You might use a filled notehead without a stem as a way to represent a note with no specific duration, but maybe that's more confusing.
no-stems.png
no-stems.png (966 Bytes) Viewed 4904 times