Family Nolaebang/Family Karaoke

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

NewRisingSun

Family Nolaebang/Family Karaoke

Post by NewRisingSun »

This game has a Yamaha YM2413 sound chip on the circuit board and uses it exclusively for its sound. Since the NSF format does not (yet?) support the YM2413 (only the derived VRC7), I am posting the music from this game in a format normally used for Sega games. I may do the expansion cartridge that has been dumped at a later point in time.
Attachments
Family Karaoke.7z
(342.82 KiB) Downloaded 619 times
MrNorbert1994

Re: Family Nolaebang/Family Karaoke

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Added to my NSF archive.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Could you also post a ROM that only plays the music, against which emulator authors can test their YM2413? Because once that stabilizes, I plan to ask kevtris to allocate an NSF 2 bit for YM2413.

(For reference: Previous topic spelled it "Noraebang")
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Because the cart doesn't allow the 2A03 audio to be mixed with the YM2413 output, I'm not convinced that it's correct to add support for it in NSF...
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

Why is that relevant for NSF2 inclusion?

As for the romanization, 패밀리 노래방 is transcribed to paemilli nolaebang by Google Translate and to paemilli noraebang by Lexilogos.
tepples wrote:Could you also post a ROM that only plays the music, against which emulator authors can test their YM2413?
All songs can be directly selected from the main menu, so that shouldn't be necessary.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

NewRisingSun wrote:Why is that relevant for NSF2 inclusion?
My thoughts are approximately something like:

NSF is for audio that comes from an NES or Famicom, not just audio ICs that are configured by a 6502. (After all, NSF does not support the Apple 2 beeper nor the C64's SID)
Because this cart doesn't allow the 2A03 audio to be mixed in, it's functionally not audio coming from a Famicom: it's just an audio IC that's configured by a 6502.
Also, there's no way to mark the lack of 2A03 channels in NSF (and it's not clear whether there should be, since literally every other cartridge ever except this one supports it. Adding such a flag would be tantamount to moving NSF to a format for audio ICs that are configured by a 6502)

Hopefully that's at least coherent, even if it's unpersuasive...
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

I would say that you are overthinking this. NSF does not implement other restrictions of original NES cartridge hardware, such as the inability to use several different expansion sound chips at the same time. I see no reason to care about Nolaebang's lack of 2A03 sound mixing, and would propose to simply add YM2413 at $6000/$6001 as another sound chip option. I think somebody complained that homebrew people are already abusing the VRC7 for non-VRC7 YM2413 features, though I cannot find the source of the complaint at the moment.
AriaOTP

Post by AriaOTP »

Thanks for dumping VGM files, but there is some expansion packs that roms available. Could you dump their VGM files?
(or, how to make VGM files in NES emulators - currently they(Family Noraebang and its expansions) work only Nintendulator)