Famitracker / Famitone sfx combo, possible issues?

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Banshaku

Re: Famitracker / Famitone sfx combo, possible issues?

Post by Banshaku »

Just tested and it fix the part were songs start with some channel disabled. Great! I had a feeling it was something like that, just didn't know much about APU to know if was only those 2 lines (LDA #$0F , STA $4015). Bugs list is getting lower, thanks!

Only sfx left then. My guess is something from your current code will fix my current issue, just need to analyse and check why the code is different in mine (where did I get that sample 2 months ago ^^;;;). And why in your with my data the song seems to continue somehow.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Sorry for the double post. This is just a follow-up since I found the cause with glutock regarding my "issue".

This is more or less one since this is the current behavior of both drivers combined. When playing SFX, a check is done regarding if music or SFX is louder. Based on the level, the one the highest wins. In one of my case, this had an undesired effect and had to adapt the code to my own needs.

I don't have any issue anymore. Thanks glutock for the support!
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Ah, I've never liked that particular behaviour of Famitone.

There was a thread about this a while ago, if you're interested in the argument:
https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14876
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I checked the title and I wouldn't have known that it was related to my issue (I thought it was a bug in my code at first). I will check that thread to see what was discussed, thanks!
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Not sure if this is my error or Shiru's.

the famitracker driver, to determine PAL mode, expects X to be #1 at init for PAL mode, and !1 for NTSC.

Shiru's example code (I think) uses blarg's code to determine system, and pushes the high bit to the NTSC mode variable. So #$80 for NTSC and #$00 for PAL.

I'll have to double check these details. But I was having trouble getting my ninja game to play PAL notes in PAL mode.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

X=1 for INIT is an NSF convention to let the player no what mode it's in. (NSF emulators are not required to have a PPU, so there's really no way for it to test the system internally.) Famitracker relies on it because it's primarily designed to make NSF files.