MML for MidiNES?

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

flipside

MML for MidiNES?

Post by flipside »

Hey, I was having this idea, I don't know if it's been brought up before..

I like the way you work with MCK/MML. However, I would like to have the sound output from the real NES. So:

How about having a program that lets you write MML, but when you compile and "play" the track (preferably within in the same program), it outputs midi information to the MidiNES.

I imagine the program would look almost just like writing in notepad or whatever, with a few extra functions. Like a "play" button which compiles and plays the track off to MidiNES directly..

My brother does a good bit of coding, and I've asked him if he can do it. The problem is though, he doesn't have much clue about MML or MIDI. I gave him a quick walkthrough though, and he started to understand it.

But - I'd just like to know your thoughts on this? Does it make sense?

Maybe having an NSF cart and CopyNES is easier :)

Best,
Alex
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Hm, it makes sense but it sounds all ass-backwards to me, honestly. But I'm not a MIDI person (and not fully knowledgable about it), so my opinion on it shouldn't matter too much. It's a unique idea, which is cool. I bet many people out there (in Japan especially) would really like it (outside the NES music arena too), so I say go for it if your bro and you can do it well.

It's actually a good enough idea to where I'd be a little surprised if there isn't software like it (in some not NES-related form) already.

I think you would have an easier time getting a dev system like my Squeedo design, or CopyNES with RAM (or Flash) cart. NSF cart maybe, if you must have NSF bankswitching (but the NSF mapper is fairly complex if you aren't into wiring up chips).