Drag's New version of NotSoFatso

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

NotTheCommonDose

Drag's New version of NotSoFatso

Post by NotTheCommonDose »

It's an update that I don't notice any difference with but a good idea for a update would be to update UNKNOWNFILE's version to remove the VRC7 static in this .nsf and others. Adding proper VRC7 volume is also a good idea.
http://2a03.org/2A03/archive/covers/med ... t_vrc7.nsf
here is his version to update if you want.
http://unknown.hcs64.com/pnm/notsofatso ... 032007.rar
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Great, thanks for posting it. Well, I was away of NSFs... :)
unknownfile

Post by unknownfile »

Hey guys,

I took a look at the code and came the the immediate conclusion that I suck at C++.

Therefore, I took somebody else's code and added it to filter a lot of stuff that causes noise. It's also able to switch between tracks without having the listener noticing much of a change in volume, as opposed to all the past versions.

No idea what causes that static in that one track though... although it is only one track that's just something like what, 5 seconds long?

Anyways... the latest build in forever:
doink

Please note that VRC7 tracks only work in stereo. Yes, I am lazy.

Enjoy, I guess.
lol internets
NotTheCommonDose

Well I didn't expect you to work on it again. Thanks UNKNOWNFILE. If you do decide to keep working on it then ask some others for help. I think I may have worded that wrong. And only FM channel 2 has static with Med disk VRC7 under K. Horton setting so your progress is getting better. It would also make sense not to abbreviate names like K. Horon should be Kevin Horton.
Drag

Post by Drag »

My update (which I'm assuming is the one you're talking about in the thread title) was actually before UnknownFile started on any of his updates.
NotTheCommonDose

Drag wrote:My update (which I'm assuming is the one you're talking about in the thread title) was actually before UnknownFile started on any of his updates.
There is no difference that's noticeable. What is different?
Drag

Post by Drag »

From the version history section of the readme:
- First release by Drag! Huzzah!

** Technical **
- The code is no longer being compiled with VC++. It has been ported to Dev-Cpp now.

- All proprietary VC++ functions (VC++ has some special nonstandard functions that
other compilers and libraries don't have) have been changed or rewritten to normal
non-proprietary functions.

- In a related note, Winamp was crashing whenever I tried to play a song, after I
changed the code to compile with dev-cpp. Disch used __fastcall on most of the 6502
emulation code, and I guess dev-cpp handles it differently and in an incompatible
way compared to VC++. All instances of __fastcall have been removed, and now the
plugin works again, but it MAY be using more cpu power than before as a result.

- The filesize of the plugin is now bigger, but I'm sure that's because VC++ does
some optimizations by default when compiling, and I haven't messed around with
that yet.

** Less Technical **
- Notes played on the triangle channel will play for too long in some engines, due
to a glitch in the linear counter. Disch actually had a fix prepared for this for
a long time, but he never added it. (listen to RC Pro Am, and Atlantis no Nazo for
example.)

- The hardware decay envelope wouldn't reset immediately when new notes were played,
which means "bing" was more of a "wing" sometimes. This is fixed now. (listen
to Spelunker, Atlantis no Nazo, Dragon Warrior 1, Mario Bros, and Donkey Kong
for example.)

- The hardware sweep unit didn't reset its period cycle when its register was written
to. This is fixed, but you probably won't notice.

- When winamp was paused, and you press play or change tracks, the position resets
to the beginning, but the song remains paused until you press the pause button
again. This should be fixed now.
Minor things that overall tend to only be noticeable in certain cases.
NotTheCommonDose

Can you update UF's version to remove static from MeD disk VRC7 and others?