Unused / Unknown nsf tracks

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

bucky o'hare

Unused / Unknown nsf tracks

Post by bucky o'hare » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:44 pm

Hey all, I'm going to organize a collection of "lost tunes" to share with the interwebs. I've always been intrigued by music found in the rom data that never made it into gameplay.

I plan on including-
-unused tracks (as well as "unknowns" that are up for debate/ scrutiny)
-tracks that got cut off and you never got to hear the whole thing
-alternate prototype tracks that never made it into their commercial NES/ Famicom releases

I might throw up a simple page or zip of mp3s somewhere, accompanied by a write-up that ruminates on what the composers' intentions may have been and how they may have fit into their respective games.

Here's what I've come up with so far (with a little help from here and here):

Unused/ Unknown:
-AD&D: Heroes of the Lance (track 8 )
-Adventures in Magic Kingdom (tracks 9 and 14)
-Batman Return of the Joker (track 6)
-Beauty and the Beast (tracks 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22)
-Bram Stoker's Dracula (track 1, 2, 3)
-Buzz and Waldog (track 6)
-Captain Skyhawk (track 3)
-Castlevania: Name Entry (leftover from FDS version)
-Conquest of the Crystal Palace (tracks 4, 13, 21, 22, 24, 25, in sound test)
-Gimmick: Strange Memories of Death (nsf track 2, in sound test)
-Hebereke (track 4)
-Journey to Silius (tracks 8 & 10)
-Maniac Mansion (track 13)
-Might and Magic (track 10)
-Ninja Gaiden II (track 9)
-Recca (tracks 16, 17, 40)
-River City Ransom (tracks 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
-Shadowgate (track 13)
-Tetris [Nintendo] (track 1)
-Werewolf - The Last Warrior (track 5 in both NES and Famicom versions)
-Wizards and Warriors 3 (tracks 20, 21, 22, and 23)
-Wurm (tracks 9 & 16)
-Zelda II (track 29)

Cut off:
-Dash Galaxy in the Alien Asylum: Opening Cutscene (track 4)
-Double Dragon: Mission Screen (track 2)
-Mega Man 3: Wily Map & Proto Man's Theme (tracks 55 & 19)
-Mega Man 4: Title Screen (track 19)
-Strider: Ending Cutscene (track 14)
-Wurm: Looking for Ziggy Cutscene (track 15)

Alternate Prototype Tracks:
-Batman (Ending, tracks 11 and 12)
-DuckTales (Moon & Transylvania, tracks 2 and 5)

Anyone know of anything else? If you can identify any of the "unknowns" or make the list larger, it'd be appreciated. :)
Last edited by bucky o'hare on Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 18 times in total.

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:56 pm

Oh and a couple curious things of interest

-There are those weird "glitchy" jingles in Solstice. Are these artifacts of a bad nsf rip or is that junk data actually from the game? All the jingles seem to borrow snippets from other tracks and freeze.

-The ending to Mega Man IV, track 12, gets further and further out of time with each subsequent loop! The second square gets ahead.
The first loop doesn't occur until 1:20 in, and either hasn't screwed up yet or is too small a change to notice. At 1:49 it becomes noticeable. At 2:17 it's obvious, and only gets worse. If the ending to the game looped longer would it have sounded like that or is this also an nsf issue?

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:24 am

- Battletoads nsf track 8
- Batman Return of the Jocker nsf track 6
- Breath of Fire "Inn" song (okay this is a SNES/GBA game not a NES game, does it count ?)
-The ending to Mega Man IV, track 12, gets further and further out of time with each subsequent loop!
So does music 1 in Rad Racer and musics for level 2 and level 3 in Battletoads & Double Dragon.
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary components.

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:27 am

Megaman 3 Protoman theme may be cut off, but you can still pause the game and hear the whole thing.

Track 28 is used in Zelda 2 when you cast "Spell" to get the magic key. Nothing hidden or obscure about this one.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:04 am

Thanks guys! I edited the post accordingly.

Are you sure about the MM3 pause trick?
I'm pretty sure that pausing at the right moment lets you hear all of track 18, not 19. It's more than you get to hear normally but it's not the entire ending theme. At least that's what happened when I did it. Although I guess that's still of interest since the last note of track 18 doesn't get to sustain as long as it does in the full version, making it slightly different than the track 19 intro...

NotTheCommonDose

Post by NotTheCommonDose » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:25 pm

Cut off/ unfinished:
Kirby's Adventure
NSF track 17

Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:12 pm

Here's a non-cutoff version of Kirby Adventure : http://akumunsf.good-evil.net/K/ Note: right-click and save as (save as nsf) when you see the file, or you get garbage text in your browser... that's a bug of the website.

Drag

Post by Drag » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:40 pm

I know this is a thread about NSFs, but there's a track in the Tetris DX GBS that doesn't appear anywhere in the game, track 30. It sounds pretty nifty too, but kinda glitchy, maybe a test song left over from an earlier version of the engine? I was always curious about it. o_O

Anyway, there's an unused track in the Nintendo Tetris nsf. Track 1, in fact. Maybe it's title screen music? Wonder why they'd leave it out...

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:13 am

Good find!

NotTheCommonDose, you meant that the Kirby NSF track itself was incomplete / erroneous, right? Just clarifying-- if you got to hear the whole thing in the game then I'd pass on it.

I found out about mega man 3, apparently you have to hold up + a on the second controller during the ending cutscene to screw up mega man's exit jump / teleport and prolong the ending music. Pretty cool.

I've been informed that track 16, 17, and 40 of Recca were unused too.
Last edited by bucky o'hare on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:15 pm

The NSFE labels tracks 19-23 of Wizards and Warriors 3 as "unknown". Anyone familiar with the game? Might give it a playthrough to double check...

Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:46 am

Dash Galaxy in the Alien Asylum - Track 4 (Cuts off in-game)

MIDI (Intro):

http://www.laurasmidiheaven.com/0vg/Nin ... ylum.shtml

Come to think of it, I don't remember Tracks 1-3

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:13 pm

I've played Wizards and Warriors 3 a bunch of times, and never heard tracks 20-23. Track 19 is an endless looping version of the pause theme.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:37 pm

Cool thanks again, I made some updates to the post.

It seems that Kirby's Adventure nsf track should be on the list anyways, under 'unused'. I got confused by the bad rip of it, but either way it is apparently only in the game's soundtest and not in the actual gameplay anywhere?

According to the Flying Omelette -
"I noticed this one in the game's sound test that's unlocked after beating the Extra Game with 100%. It's almost a perfect replica of the title theme from the Game Boy Kirby's Dream Land... It's not used anywhere in Kirby's Adventure except in the sound test."
Last edited by bucky o'hare on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:02 pm

There's always the weird track from "Erika to Satoru no Yumebouken" (Track #24) that appears to be lifted directly from Karate Kid.

BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:42 pm

I even checked the title screen code in Kirby's Adventure to see if the unused track might be enabled via a button code or some in-game accomplishment, but no such luck. It's quite hard-coded to use the current track.