Looking for a NSF/NED composer ($$$)

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Sigvatr

Looking for a NSF/NED composer ($$$)

Post by Sigvatr »

Hi there,

I'm the lead designer at Transhuman Design (http://www.thd.vg)

We have started working on a new, secret game that is going to be 99% in the authentic NES style, including music, samples, graphics and so on.

It's a bit like Mega Man 9 in the sense that we are intentionally making a great game using old school methods. The game is going to be built upon modern game design principles and part of the reason we have chosen to make the game in this particular style is because we believe that good gameplay does not come from visuals alone.

That being said, NES graphics and audio give me a raging boner.

This is going to be a paid job and we will most likely sell this game (probably on Steam). And yes, it will have game pad support. The money isn't going to be huge because we are an independent game company, but yes, you will get paid on a per track basic.

What we are looking for is someone who both understands how to create NSF/NED files and also can create music that will fit in the game. We are looking for music similar to the Metroid and Castlevania games, something moody and menacing. We are mostly looking for someone who has a good understanding of composition.

If you think you have what it takes, then give me a buzz at me@sigvatr.com

We may hire more than one person, it depends on a number of things, and we are also going to accept collaborations if people want to work together.

Thanks guys!
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

I can give you a few pointers on how nes graphics work...cant help by actually taking up the job though.
Sigvatr

Post by Sigvatr »

This isn't actually going to be a NES game, it is going to be based on a scratch built engine, so we won't have any of the NES limitations. Although for the most part, I don't think anyone will notice except die hard NES fans who still play their NES every day.

I was wondering though, is there a NES style game pad you can plug into your computer/USB slot? That would be really cool.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Check out retrousb.com

edit: about the music...maybe you can get a free emulator that has an open license (so anyone can use it) and steal it's sound emulation. (It'd be nice to ask first though...doubt they'd say no)
tepples

Post by tepples »

Sigvatr wrote:I was wondering though, is there a NES style game pad you can plug into your computer/USB slot? That would be really cool.
Before RetroZone sold PowerPak, it sold these. Or if you're OK with having a D-pad that makes it too easy to wander into diagonals, I saw a Super NES-knockoff USB gamepad on stootsi.com once.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Tepples...I already gave that link.