Use of cover songs in homebrew games

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Post by tepples »

In [url=http://nesdev.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=64723#64723]this post[/url], mic_ wrote:it will still require some actual work to get a good-sounding cover (take chris' "Comic Bakery" cover for example)
Or Dead or Alive's "Comic Bakery" cover ;-)

(proof)
Not to mention that even commercial games on the old consoles / home computers had music that were covers or remixes of pieces of classical music or pop songs.
Classical yes; pop no. I worry more about what the major music publishers will do, given that licensing songs for use in video games to be sold is a big business now. But I encourage people to raid Mutopia for songs to arrange and raid it hard.
Last edited by tepples on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mic_

Post by mic_ »

Not to mention that even commercial games on the old consoles / home computers had music that were covers or remixes of pieces of classical music or pop songs.

Classical yes; pop no.
You don't consider Jarre to be pop music?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Most of us don't have the financial resources of Konami or Elite Systems to license big-name songs for use in compo entries.
mic_

Post by mic_ »

I'd be surprised if they payed him a dime. C64 games weren't exactly big budget projects. But hey, who knows.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Probably should split the music stuff away...

While we're at it...
The song you hear all the time in sports arenas

The C64 game they took it from
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!