Custom NES music replacement.

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Post by tepples »

blargg wrote:Based on my experience with the CHR caching optimization I described a while back, replacing tiles at run-time would not be a performance problem at all. The CHR caching routine does a fair amount of transformation on the tile data, and uses less than 1% of emulation time. Replacing it with a simple hash and selection of replacement tile data would probably make it faster.
Then what happens when you get CHR RAM games that dynamically compute the tile data? Qix, Videomation, and the map in one of the Final Fantasy games come to mind. For these, you're probably better off just using regular rendering and then letting hq2x sort it out. And what about games such as Rad Racer that use raster effect on every scanline to tilt the background?
Memblers wrote:[With a custom music chip,] If you want the sound coming out of the actual NES, then of course that's something else (and the system would need to be modified). I'm not sure what you have in mind as far as what hardware would generate the sound.
Which is why many popular NES emulators aren't NES emulators at all; they're Famicom emulators. They don't emulate the lockout chip in a frontloading NES, and they do emulate the sound path going through the Game Pak's PCB. For authentic emulation, they should ignore mapper-generated sound when run in PAL mode.
Mednafen

Post by Mednafen »

tepples:

My method would be more difficult to implement in hardware, but it would be completely transparent to the game, requiring no ROM patches.