Wario's Woods EU/AUS (PAL) NSF rip request

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Drag

Post by Drag »

Thanks for ripping this, guys! Though, I'm very curious as to why they changed the music for the PAL release... it sounds like they even went so far as to change the entire music engine. o_O (They might not have, but things do sound a bit different...)

An interesting thing to note is that track 20 of the NSF went on to be the BGM for 1P mode on the SNES version. I booted up the rom for this game, and I couldn't find this song in any of the modes... but I didn't really play that far, so it might be accessible later on.
tepples

Post by tepples »

But then the background music for 1P mode in Wario's Woods (U) for Super NES also sounds like a "Jimmy Hart Version" of the background music for 1P mode in Wario's Woods (U) for NES.
Milkomeda

Post by Milkomeda »

B00daW wrote:We both went into this knowing practically no idea what we were doing. I learned much of what I know from watching Gil's YouTube tutorial and applying my own spins. rainwarrior is a beast and stayed up past 5am sorting those tracks. Once you go through the motions of the ripping process things make a lot more sense. It's even fun making your own init code. Makes me feel like investigating some MuseTracker and SuperNSF NSFs to see what they did to get around playing PCM without frame IRQs.

Again this was good fun and I hope to do it again.

...Another thing off my list of things I wanted to do. :)
Wow huge thanks to you 2 and thanks to Gil as well

I did make an attempt at trying this myself however since I lacked knowledge of the 6502 assembly I got stuck at the sound driver range in the stack viewer. After seeing the 6502 assembly guide my jaw dropped at how complicated it looked. I was making comparisons to it against Algebra in terms of how complicated they both were.

Is there anything that can be done in the file about decreasing the speed of the tracks? I noticed they play at 60hz NTSC speed but it would be much more enjoyable listening to them at the proper 50hz PAL speed.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Milkomeda wrote:After seeing the 6502 assembly guide my jaw dropped at how complicated it looked. I was making comparisons to it against Algebra in terms of how complicated they both were.
Yeah, I learned 6502 assembly on Apple II computers back in seventh grade, around the same time I learned algebra.
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

Milkomeda wrote:Is there anything that can be done in the file about decreasing the speed of the tracks? I noticed they play at 60hz NTSC speed but it would be much more enjoyable listening to them at the proper 50hz PAL speed.
I made sure that the NSF is timed at 50Hz and has the PAL flag set. Make sure you're using a NSF player that supports PAL. Quite a few of them do not. Try NSFPlay 2.1. It works well on WINE, so should be fine with Parallels if you are on a Mac.