It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Famicompo Mini Vol. 9
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:08 pm
Posts: 535
Location: United States
First of all, thanks to no one for keeping me informed about the first 8 volumes! :evil: It wasn't until Dwedit mentioned the 9th one that I knew about this. So thanks to him! :) Or her. :?

Second, I have a flaming pile of NSFs to unload now. :twisted: Apparently I can only submit two:

Which of these should I submit for my 'cover'?

http://2a03.free.fr/dl.php?file=3722
http://2a03.free.fr/dl.php?file=3724
http://2a03.free.fr/dl.php?file=3714

I'm leaning towards Dragon Roost because that was the first one I did, & I think many people will be familiar with it. On the other hand, Stinkoman has three tracks. :roll:

Edit: By the way, I only have one decent 'original' piece, so this is it: http://2a03.free.fr/dl.php?file=3716

_________________
Ruling the World One Bean™ at a Time...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:15 am
Posts: 24
Frankly it's pretty surprising that you haven't heard of FCM before. It's a pretty big deal in the NSF scene! This is the moment when NSF artists all around the world come together and contribute a little something to the NSF scene and listen to each other's stuff (usually during a live stream of some kind), all in the relaxed setting of a friendly competition. :)

Glad to see you'll join us this year; however, it's a non-written rule that you shouldn't release your work prior to the competition (and likewise, you shouldn't submit tunes you've already released to the public). You won't get disqualified, but it's frowned upon.

In case it wasn't clear enough, you can submit ONE file to covers and ONE to originals (and not 2 originals or 2 covers). I'm reiterating just to be sure. However, each NSF can contain up to 5 tracks. This contrasts with pre-2012 FCM events where you could submit 5 NSFs total in any category you wanted, but each NSF had to be a single track.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:03 pm
Posts: 5718
Location: Canada
Anonymity is a written rule.
ふぁみこんぽmini 闇のオキテ(暗黙のルール) wrote:
其の壱:Entry後、結果発表までは作者名は秘密という伝統があります。
強制はしませんが「entry no.XXは俺が作ったんだぜ」と吹聴、又は宣伝しないようにしましょう。
ただし、それを匂わせる程度の発言はその限りではありませんがどれも強制されるものではありません。

It's just a soft rule.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:08 pm
Posts: 535
Location: United States
jrlepage wrote:
Frankly it's pretty surprising that you haven't heard of FCM before. It's a pretty big deal in the NSF scene! This is the moment when NSF artists all around the world come together and contribute a little something to the NSF scene and listen to each other's stuff (usually during a live stream of some kind), all in the relaxed setting of a friendly competition. :)

Glad to see you'll join us this year; however, it's a non-written rule that you shouldn't release your work prior to the competition (and likewise, you shouldn't submit tunes you've already released to the public). You won't get disqualified, but it's frowned upon.


This is exactly why I'm PO'd. Had I known about this 5 years ago I would've submitted my tracks there instead of 2a03.org, where it seems they were all taken down. :evil:

_________________
Ruling the World One Bean™ at a Time...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:46 pm
Posts: 919
jrlepage wrote:
In case it wasn't clear enough, you can submit ONE file to covers and ONE to originals (and not 2 originals or 2 covers). I'm reiterating just to be sure. However, each NSF can contain up to 5 tracks. This contrasts with pre-2012 FCM events where you could submit 5 NSFs total in any category you wanted, but each NSF had to be a single track.
I don't really like that, since some might be Famicom Disk System while others aren't it can make a problem, or if you are writing music using different programs (CombiNSF is not perfect so it won't always work). I would suggest: Allow up to five cover and five original, but you can combine them into one file or into separate files or a combination of the two as long as five in total per section (and you are not allowed to put cover and original together in one file). Another thing this means, is make less bias judging if using separate files. I don't know how to tell to them but at least I would suggest it.

Is it allow to have "hidden" tracks (such as the header says 5 tracks but if you set the accumulator to 42 you will get a secret music)? Is there file size limit? Is there music duration limit? Is it OK to write it to automatically compose the music by itself at runtime? Is there rule for NTSC/PAL? Is there rule for playback rate?

I have written some .NSF musics but since I already release them, I don't know if I should? However, they are all public domain, I am OK with it if you take them, modify them, call them as your own, or whatever you want.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:08 pm
Posts: 535
Location: United States
zzo38 wrote:
I have written some .NSF musics but since I already release them, I don't know if I should? However, they are all public domain, I am OK with it if you take them, modify them, call them as your own, or whatever you want.

What do you mean public domain? :? You released the .NES or .FTM?

Anyway, I don't have much time to afford making new music so for now everyone will have to put up with existing NSFs from me. (If you don't want to know what they'll be, don't click on them.)

Next time around I'll have something new.

_________________
Ruling the World One Bean™ at a Time...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:46 pm
Posts: 919
Jedi QuestMaster wrote:
What do you mean public domain? :? You released the .NES or .FTM?
Neither. I released the .NSF and .MML. But I also mean that I have assigned no copyright, so you are free to modify them and redistribute them too.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:08 pm
Posts: 535
Location: United States
Okay, I lied. I think I'll have one new original piece.

_________________
Ruling the World One Bean™ at a Time...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:15 am
Posts: 24
Just to clear any doubts, I too am fiercely opposed to the new "two NSFs, 5 tracks each" rule, and for the same reasons as you zzo38. That being said, there's nothing to stop you submitting several NSFs under different monikers... But that's borderline cheating.

Also, one must not overlook the fact that getting people to stick to one expansion could very possibly be part of K->'s plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:46 pm
Posts: 919
jrlepage wrote:
Just to clear any doubts, I too am fiercely opposed to the new "two NSFs, 5 tracks each" rule, and for the same reasons as you zzo38. That being said, there's nothing to stop you submitting several NSFs under different monikers... But that's borderline cheating.
Yes it probably would be borderline cheating; I wonder who cares?

Quote:
Also, one must not overlook the fact that getting people to stick to one expansion could very possibly be part of K->'s plan.
You can still use multiple expansions in a single .NSF file but enabling Famicom Disk System can interfere with the others.

To repeat, my reasons I prefer five NSFs per section with one track each, instead of one NSF per section with five tracks each, is:
  • No interference with Famicom Disk System
  • Can write music using different programs
  • Less bias judging
  • Different title for each one (only after titles are revealed, though)

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Posts: 19099
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
Writing music with different programs can be done with bankswitching.

As for multiple expansions, isn't there still a 2A03-only division?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:46 pm
Posts: 919
tepples wrote:
Writing music with different programs can be done with bankswitching.
Yes, I know, and this is what CombiNSF does. However, it won't work so well if the input files also use bankswitching.

tepples wrote:
As for multiple expansions, isn't there still a 2A03-only division?
I think so. (I think there is also "classical" meaning 2A03 without DPCM.)

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:03 pm
Posts: 5718
Location: Canada
There's no formal divisions in the ranking, but every entry has its chipset listed. 2A03 without DPCM ("classical") is considered distinct from 2A03.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:08 pm
Posts: 535
Location: United States
Wow - this was a downright failure for me. :roll:

My cover didn't even play right on the stream. Oh well, not my fault. It was kinda funny atleast. :lol:

But in all seriousness, thank you Zozz. I couldn't have entered this without you. And go fix that shiat! 8-) (if you haven't already done so)

_________________
Ruling the World One Bean™ at a Time...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:46 pm
Posts: 919
Voting is closed by now, although results seems not available yet.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group