It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Tracker history
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:02 pm
Posts: 147
Location: Richmond, VA
I'm continuing some of my research/writing on early NES-related tools and I've recently began looking at tracker software. As usual, I have questions:

1. Was NerdTracker 2 the first FC/NES tracker? The name leads me to believe there was a NT1, but I can find no trace of it online. Any trackers that preceded it?

2. Was NT2 directly inspired by other tracker software? My guess was Amiga Sound/ProTracker and their derivatives.

3. Any notable limitations of the NT2 2A03 emulation based on limited hardware knowledge at the time?

4. Anyone have insight on the Japanese Famicom tracker and/or VGM scene? Links or documentation are fine.

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tracker history
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Posts: 19098
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
noattack wrote:
Any notable limitations of the NT2 2A03 emulation based on limited hardware knowledge at the time?

One major one is the phase reset on high byte write; NT2's internal player doesn't emulate this, and early versions of Stars SE are reported to have sounded horrible because the NES playback code didn't work around it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tracker history
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:08 am
Posts: 348
Quote:
1. Was NerdTracker 2 the first FC/NES tracker? The name leads me to believe there was a NT1, but I can find no trace of it online. Any trackers that preceded it?


To the best of my knowledge, no one had released a previous tracker for the NES.

Naming it NT2 was just a bit of a half-joke: At the time NT2 was written, FastTracker2 was the first choice for making music in the nordic demoscene, while the people who had ever tried the original FastTracker were few and far apart. So I figured adding a "2" suffix to it would be more likely to give it instant fame...

Quote:
2. Was NT2 directly inspired by other tracker software? My guess was Amiga Sound/ProTracker and their derivatives.


Yes, quite obviously. :) TBH I never used SoundTracker/ProTracker myself, as I started out on PC without ever owning an Amiga. But FastTracker2 which me and everyone else were heavily using has its historical roots in ProTracker as well, as does any tracker software I'd believe.

Yet another less known but pretty big source of inspiration would be Reality Adlib Tracker, which me and my musician friend PhD had been using a lot for PC intros we did at the time. It gave me the idea of how simple it could be to make a text-mode based tracker, and NT2 based most of its color scheme on it.

Quote:
3. Any notable limitations of the NT2 2A03 emulation based on limited hardware knowledge at the time?


Besides the issue Tepples mentioned (NT2's emulation not resetting the phase when writing $4003) there was also no oversampling being done, which makes the higher frequencies of looped noise sound totally incorrect compared to the real hardware. This issue was fixed in NESamp, where the sound emulation was based on the code from NT2, but it was never put back into NT2 since NT2 had been discontinued by then. There's probably a ton of more subtle inaccuracies as well I'd imagine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tracker history
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:02 pm
Posts: 147
Location: Richmond, VA
Bananmos wrote:
Naming it NT2 was just a bit of a half-joke: At the time NT2 was written, FastTracker2 was the first choice for making music in the nordic demoscene, while the people who had ever tried the original FastTracker were few and far apart. So I figured adding a "2" suffix to it would be more likely to give it instant fame...


Ha, that's a great reason! Obviously the instant fame worked out. 8-)

And thanks for the feedback - good to know I wasn't off base with the ProTracker link.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tracker history
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:29 am
Posts: 911
Quote:
Anyone have insight on the Japanese Famicom tracker and/or VGM scene? Links or documentation are fine.


Hasn't the Japanese NES/FC music community always been more MML-centered? I'm sure there are Japanese people these days that use e.g. FamiTracker, but I have never seen a Japanese-developed tool for making NES/FC music that hasn't been MML-based.

A few links:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tracker history
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:42 pm
Posts: 65
It's quite funny when you think about that both NT2 and FamiTracker are developed in Sweden. Musetracker (aka Pornotracker) is developed in Finland...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tracker history
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:35 pm
Posts: 34
Location: oregon
That is funny! Sweden also has a vibrant NES speedrunning community.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group