It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:54 pm 

Quote:
Ummm... when you say "press * on your numpad"... I don't have a numpad, on my MacBook, lol. It's not like a Windows laptop or PC where the numpad is just located to the right of everything, ufnortunately.:(

I don't have a numpad either. Most laptops don't. That's another reason I don't like nerdtracker. My computer lets me hold down a key to use numpad stuff, but it's a huge hassle.
Quote:
I have, however, tried going 'shift+8' to GET the *, asterisk sign, but.. nothing. I'm not sure the tracker even registers it.

That's not the same as the one on the numpad.

You have a few options.

If your computer is like mine, and has a key you can hold down to use numpad stuff, you can use that. (I looked and it doesn't seem like macbooks have such a key. Edit: Wait. Yes, they do.) (My keyboard looks like http://www.casperservis.biz.tr/wp-content/uploads/laptop-keyboard_6950_1.jpg. I hold down the Fn key, and press p for * on the numpad.)

You can find an on screen keyboard program for Mac, and use that. Maybe this will help?

You can just get a USB keyboard that actually has a numpad on it.

You can try to find if there's a way to remap keys in Wine.

Honestly, I'd just try famitracker.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:40 pm 

Ahh, alright. I'll give Famitracker a go, thanks so much for your help! ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:50 pm 

Here's a "quickstart" guide for famitracker. The very first thing you want to do is, "Instrument, new instrument." From there, you'll be able to click the first column of any channel, press a key (much like nerdtracker, zxc are c, d, e of a piano) to hear a note.

To actually place a note, press the record button (or press space bar). Then pressing zxc etc. will put a note in the column. Turning off record can let you try out a few notes first.

Most of the other stuff is a lot like what I already described for nerd tracker.

First column is notes, second column is instruments, third column is volume, fourth is effects.

Volume is 0-F. It's worth learning some hex if you really want to get into this stuff.