It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:08 pm 

I am attempting to bet a RGB NES and every seller I contact states that the original AV out and RF out (Frontloader) no longer works with the mod. I have seem bits and pieces online to the contrary, so I am wondering does the standard mod disable the composite and rf? If so, is there a way to reactivate the box? I am wondering because I would like to stream the RGB signal and play on a CRT with composite or RF.

Thanks for any help

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:25 pm 

The NESRGB aftermarket kit generates new s-video and/or composite output as well as component. However, the original composite output from the PPU is gone.

If by some unlikely chance you're talking about a 2C03 or 2C05 - those only generate component.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:31 pm 

The NESRGB mod modifies the original PPU-generated Composite Video signal into an unusable state of black backgrounds and white sprite boxes to get RGB. As lidnariq says, you can enjoy RGB, S-Video or RGB-derived Composite Video using the mod. You can stream the RGB and use the S-Video or Composite at the same time for playing purposes. You cannot use the PPU-generated Composite Video while using the mod, but there is a way to turn the NESRGB mod off so you can use it if you wish.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:24 pm 

I appreciate both responses. With that said I have to admit I dont have a super solid understanding of this mod. So for clarification the original composite out is unusable?

The models I am looking at have a Snes multi out style connector only, so if the original composites are dead I am hung up on how i would run scart fro RGB while monitoring on a CRT.

Sorry for the stupidity and redundancy, but again I appreciate the help

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:21 am 

The multi-out connector has several pins for different outputs, and they all are active at the same time (if enabled by the console). So a simple splitter may be what you need.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:13 am 

You can still connect the composite out from NESRGB out to the old RCA jack on the NES. I have no idea why everyone makes such a big deal out of this as this is easy to do as ABC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:19 pm 

MaarioS,

This is good to hear. Is there an online resource or wiring diagram you know of demonstrating this? I think its clear i wont be able to do it but with some info my father can.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:20 pm 

There isn't much I can say if you don't clarify everything exactly. Which console and model do you want to buy?? In short, every console has some sort of video rail with components in it like resistors, capacitors etc. and the goal is to remove the components that go directly to the composite RCA jack and solder a wire to it going to composite out from NESRGB and this is all. Maybe you don't even need to remove anything and all you are supposed to do is to just solder that wire to composite out on NESRGB and this is all, if it works and you don't see any interference then you can leave it as is. If you want to buy a pre modded RGB console already then you can also ask the modder to add composite out on your request

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:55 pm 

The NESRGB mod is a very neat mod, and combined with the OSSC it's allows you to get 5x scaling on a HDTV, which is a nice feature - if you can accept that the vertical resolution will be cropped to 216 pixels.

The one downside with it though, is that it doesn't correctly emulate the palette entry pointed to by $2006 being output when all rendering is off. This means certain rare software doing mid-scanline tricks will look plain wrong on the NESRGB. If that's important to you, I would suggest getting the Hidef NES instead (i actually have two NES's having both)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:40 pm 

cgoffa1 wrote:
MaarioS,

This is good to hear. Is there an online resource or wiring diagram you know of demonstrating this? I think its clear i wont be able to do it but with some info my father can.

It's simple. The "V" pad on the NESRGB board is the composite video out (already buffered and with correct termination). So all you need to do is to pop open the cover of the RF/AV unit, cut the composite video center pin lead as close to the board as possible, lift it up a little, and solder a wire from the "V" pad to the center pin lead. If you want to put the cover back on the RF/AV unit, you may have to cut a little spot out for the cable to fit through.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:33 pm 

...or you can just buy an AVS and not worry about any of this nonsense.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:33 am 

koitsu wrote:
...or you can just buy an AVS and not worry about any of this nonsense.

I love the analogy "why do you want to repair your car if you can buy a Ferrari instead??" xD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:06 am 

That analogy is terrible. There's no repair effort going on here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:59 am 

So why did you try to advertise that thing and go completely off topic??

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:57 pm 

Okay, I'll explain my reaction in detail. I have intentionally been being terse because I'm tired of time vampires.

The whole thread premise is wonky to begin with. "I am wondering because I would like to stream the RGB signal and play on a CRT with composite or RF." Let's really work through this for a moment:

The entire point of an RGB-modded NES is to *get rid of* the RF and/or composite output modulations/interconnects. That is to say: a person has the mod done to "get the console upgraded to RGB output", or "output that is clearer *and* works better with present-day TVs/systems". That's what the mod is for. Fact.

Here we have someone who wants the RGB output for streaming. I'm not aware of many streaming setups where the capture device hooked to the PC is literally capturing RGB -- it's usually done via HDMI or component, sometimes DVI-D (an exception might be the USB3HDCAP device, which has a DVI-I connector and accepts RGB on the 4-pin analog part of the DVI-I connector, but then you get to make custom adapters/cables for that. It's a good capture device (I own one) but it deinterlacing is terrible. It's "barely acceptable" for SNES + NES, whether composite or S-video). Instead, most stream-friendly capture devices use HDMI -- let's ignore component for a moment.

With an RGB-modded NES that isn't doing HDMI, you're going to have to deal with the nuances of either a Framemeister or an OSSC... both of which just output HDMI anyway.

So let's add up the costs, excluding HDMI cable costs, audio cables/splitter costs, and capture card costs -- and this assumes the person has a NES they want to have modded (the OP doesn't; they're looking to buy a pre-modded NES, and those tend to sell for ridiculous prices):

NES HiDef mod: about US$140 (varies, doesn't include shipping costs) -- does HDMI output by default

NESRGB mod: ranges from US$75 to US$150 (varies depending on options; MultiOut adds $50 for example) -- let's assume output is raw RGB via Mini-DIN 8-pin, not HDMI
Framemeister: US$375 -- or OSSC: US$188
Mini-DIN 8-pin to Mini-DIN 8-pin cable (NESRGB-to-Framemeister): US$11 -- or Mini-DIN 8-pin to SCART (NESRGB-to-SCART): US$35
Total (worst cases): US$536 (HiDef) -- or US$373 (NESRGB)

vs.

AVS: US$175 -- on hardware that's recently made, i.e. not old and potentially going to fail or need further repair (parts, PSU, etc.)
HDMI splitter (one goes to capture device, other to TV): US$20
Total: $195

An alternate which is still expensive is: get a stock front-loader NES (cheap) or AV Famicom (expensive) with standard composite output, buy a Framemeister (OSSC doesn't support composite), get an HDMI splitter, done.

And don't use scanlines on the Framemeister, otherwise you'll get washed out colours, apparently? Heh.

I say all this assuming the OP would be willing to give up use of the CRT. If not, the situation is completely different and the AVS is not really a suitable choice since it's HDMI-only.

I'm just really against modding consoles. The number of unmodded ones is diminishing, and it's starting to become hard for people needing replacement parts to find non-screwed-with consoles for reasonable prices (NES/FC consoles should be selling for practically nothing, but because of hipsters and this modding nonsense, they're going for stupid amounts). The situation with NES joypads is even worse, where speedrunners and people doing TAS compos -- people who actually use original controllers and prefer the feel of the rubber contact pads of the originals vs. clones and third-party controllers -- are literally praying their controllers never die. I wish people would leave the originals alone.